"A Trip to the Other Place" Cambridge by barryg23

Cambridge Travel Guide: 814 reviews and 1,719 photos

Cambridge

Cambridge, or 'the other place' as my Oxford guide calls it, is one of England's nicest towns in and is well worth a visit. Apparently there is a good University here too....

What might have been

Like Oxford, Cambridge is made up of a number of Colleges - 31 in total. I almost ended up studying here and, though I love Oxford, I think I'd have enjoyed Cambridge too.

Summer in Cambridge

I had once read that Cambridge is essentially a University town and that it can be like a ghost-town during vacations. Perhaps they meant holidays other than summer, as on this visit the place was very busy. Summer is a good time to visit as the town looks great with all the boats on the river, etc.

I've just been on a second visit to Cambridge in March 2003 - definitely a nice time to visit as there are very few tourists around, yet the weather was nice and the colleges all looked great.

• Last visit to Cambridge: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Mar 2, 2003

• OOOx's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2010 at 4:35 AM

Interesting page and very nice photographs of Cambridge.

• morne's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Clearly a city with lovely buildings which you have captured extremely well.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2007 at 7:12 AM

Hehe I see Dabs has got here first well I'll try not push her in :-) evil grin - intersting to read about the college being the last to admit girls so much for PC

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2007 at 7:35 AM

Jo changed our plans so we are heading to Cambridge instead of Oxford! I think we will leaving the punting to the professionals, don't want to end up going for a swim ha ha

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 8:26 AM

Wow! You had some nice weather when you were in Cambridge! It seems as if it was raining every time I went there,

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2007 at 3:30 AM

Great tips and photo's. ;-)

• imlikeabird's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2006 at 4:53 AM

Don't you just love Cambridge? Thanks for visiting my site.

• m-joy's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2005 at 6:20 AM

Nice page, I'll try to follow your advices in a week, hope the weather will be good enough for punting and relaxing!:)

• xuessium's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2005 at 7:57 AM

I agree with you. Cambridge is a great place. Spent a week there. Lovely. By comparison, I am not too keen about "the other city" Oxford. A tad commercial!

• Sophie1980's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2004 at 5:33 PM

Hey Barry. Great Cambridge tips. Punting is bloody hard - I whacked a Japanese student on my boat with the punty stick thing. Eeek. Been back in Cambridge for 6 weeks and enjoying some sun! Sophie

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Badges & Stats in Cambridge

Have you been to Cambridge?

Latest Activity in Cambridge