"Lake District" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park by barryg23

Lake District National Park Travel Guide: 488 reviews and 1,312 photos

Mountains, lakes and wild scenery are not the first things that spring to mind when you think of England, but in one part of the country, you’ll find these in abundance. The Lake District is a national park in the north west of the country, and within its boundaries contains (amongst many other things) England’s highest mountain, deepest lake as well as many picturesque villages and towns.

Ever since Wordsworth published his Guide to the Lakes in the 19th century visitors have been coming in numbers to marvel at the lakeland wonders. These numbers seem to increase all the time though even on a busy weekend it’s easy to escape the crowds by hiking or walking in the remoter parts.

I visited the Lake District many years ago as a child with my family but have few memories of that trip other than Windermere, Wordsworth’s cottage and Sarah Nelson’s Gingerbread. In 2007, I returned for another visit and ever since I've been coming back whenever I get the chance. Most of my trips in the Lake District are spent hiking and fell-walking so the tips below will focus predominately on these.

• Pros:Home to England’s highest mountains, largest lakes and best hikes
  • Cons:Overcrowded, too many tourists
  • In a nutshell:The most scenic area in England
  • Last visit to Lake District National Park: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 7, 2009

• betako3's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I'd love to go to the Lake District one day. your pisc are amazing, the green of the grass in some of them is almost unreal, as if it was painted :) but that's what May does. Happy Travels.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I will have to come back and see this page properly!ive been here a few times but no digital pics.2 wks in Jordan is an xlnt amount of time.might go to Sicily,March maybe Burundi,April and Fes inJune.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2008 at 7:12 PM

i learnt a few new words from your pages on my 2nd day - tarn and scramble.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2008 at 2:46 AM

A very informative page, thank you for the tips. I'll be there in a few weeks, can't wait!

• civic1500's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2008 at 11:10 PM

Barry, What type of car you were driving in your Lake District Trip. It seems to me that driving a small car is better but they always come with manual gear. I can only drive auto.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2008 at 8:50 AM

Really helpful page Barry! It has whet my appetite for a probable visit later in the year : )

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2008 at 3:09 PM

I really enjoyed this page...great photos and tips. Never knew about tarns and I must try that mint cake. I have saved some of the tips...thanks

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2007 at 12:36 PM

I know these tips can't be true because there's no rain! Wonderful stuff, thanks for sharing and I've learnt that what I do in New England (Aussie version), has a name - scrambling. Cheers

• Aug 21, 2007 at 6:19 AM

I really enjoyed the hike across the Lake District (from my chair ;) thanks to your great photos and great writing. Some of these paths and roads look quite dangerous, but the views are very rewarding.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2007 at 7:54 AM

Thanks, Barry, you have brought me memories from 2004 when I chanced to visit the Lake District and admired its beauty. It was very short visit by tourist bus but I remember lakes and mountains well. I liked your Virtual-tour much!

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Badges & Stats in Lake District National Park

Have you been to Lake District National Park?