"Lake District" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park by barryg23
Lake District National Park Travel Guide: 488 reviews and 1,312 photos
Mountains, lakes and wild scenery are not the first things that spring to mind when you think of England, but in one part of the country, you’ll find these in abundance. The Lake District is a national park in the north west of the country, and within its boundaries contains (amongst many other things) England’s highest mountain, deepest lake as well as many picturesque villages and towns.
Ever since Wordsworth published his Guide to the Lakes in the 19th century visitors have been coming in numbers to marvel at the lakeland wonders. These numbers seem to increase all the time though even on a busy weekend it’s easy to escape the crowds by hiking or walking in the remoter parts.
I visited the Lake District many years ago as a child with my family but have few memories of that trip other than Windermere, Wordsworth’s cottage and Sarah Nelson’s Gingerbread. In 2007, I returned for another visit and ever since I've been coming back whenever I get the chance. Most of my trips in the Lake District are spent hiking and fell-walking so the tips below will focus predominately on these.
- Pros:Home to England’s highest mountains, largest lakes and best hikes
- Cons:Overcrowded, too many tourists
- In a nutshell:The most scenic area in England
There are a number of great day hikes in the Lake District, so picking a favourite isn't easy. Furthermore, I've only... more travel advice
The George Hotel offers both accommodation and dining options. There a choice of bar-food or table service in the... more travel advice
- See All Ashness Bridge
- Car Hire
- Dsiount Outdoor Stores
- See All Narrow Roads
barryg23's Related Pages
Lake District National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Right On Our Doorstep......"
- "A favourite part of the country"
- "Lake District"
- "Ben-UK's Lake District page"
- "It`s Just A Hop Skip And A Jump"
- "Scenery at its best"
- "The Lake District - scenery at its best"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake District National Park
- Hotels in Lake District National Park
- Transportation in Lake District National Park
- Nightlife in Lake District National Park
- Restaurants in Lake District National Park
- Shopping in Lake District National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Lake District National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake District National Park
- 50 Reviews
- 138 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Lake District National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake District National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Best of The 00's. Your picks."
- Commented on one of christine.j's Lake District National Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Favourite day hikes in the Lake District"
- Wrote a Review Favourite day hikes in the Lake District in Lake District National Park Favorites
- updated a Lake District National Park Travel Page "Lake District"
Photos in Lake District National ParkSee All Photos (138)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 171 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 111 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 74 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 74 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 54 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 51 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 47 reviews, 95 photos
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue