Oxford Things to Do Tips by barryg23 Top 5 Page for this destination
Oxford Things to Do: 411 reviews and 733 photos
The Saxon Tower on Cornmarket is the oldest building in Oxford. You can climb the tower to get a nice view over Cornmarket and the colleges and buildings nearby.
Address: Cornmarket Street
Pitt Rivers Museum
The Natural History and Pitt Rivers Museum on Parks Road is my favourite of Oxford's Museums. In front of museum there is nice grass area for picnics or relaxing. My old department is just across the street from here.
Trinity is another of Oxford's beautiful colleges. It's on Broad Street, beside Blackwell's on one side and Balliol College on the other. You can see Trinity's lovely gardens from Parks Road.
Address: Broad Street
The walk from Christ Chruch to the river takes you past very scenic parts of Oxford. I go jogging here quite often and the views of Christ Church and th eother colleges are amazing.
Directions: Christ Church
The recently restored Martyrs' memorial, at the southern tip of St. Giles, is dedicated to the martyrs Latimer, Ridley and Cranmer, all of whom were burned at the stake in 1555 for their religious beliefs.
Directions: St. Giles
Magdalen is my favourite of all the colleges. The college even has its own deer garden!! It's probably the second-most visited college by tourists, and just like Christ Church students, Magdalen has a reputation as a posh place.
Address: High Street
Directions: At the eastern end of High Street, just before Magdalen Bridge.
Visit the Bodleian Library - the main University library. As a copyright library it has a right to a copy of every book published in the UK and the Republic of Ireland. It has also got the only original copy of Shakespeare's poem Venus & Adonis. Exciting!
Address: Catte Street.
Other Contact: Bodleian is another one of those
There are many vantage points from where you can survey Oxford's famous dreaming spires. The Saxon Tower, Carfax Tower and St. Mary's Church all offer great views over the city.
Bridge of Sighs
The Bridge of Sighs is a famous Oxford landmark, often used as the backdrop for graduation/matriculation photographs. It links two parts of Hertford College, across New College Lane; however, access to the bridge itself is restricted to Hertford students and fellows. There is an equally pretty Bridge of Sighs in St. John's College, Cambridge, and both bridges are modelled on the original in Venice.
Home to three of the prettiest colleges in Oxford, and with the sort of shops you won't find on any High Street, Turl Street is a must-see for any visitor to Oxford.
More Reviews (89)
- See All Santa gets legless in Oxford
- See All Old Town Wall
- See All First Visit
- See All Thai Cuisine
- See All Port Meadow
- See All Walking Tours
barryg23's Related Pages
Oxford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Gown Town"
- "Oxford Stories"
- "A home in Oxford"
- "City of Dreaming Spires"
- "The Oxford Story"
- "The City of Dreaming Spires"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oxford
- Hotels in Oxford
- Transportation in Oxford
- Nightlife in Oxford
- Restaurants in Oxford
- Shopping in Oxford
- Warnings and Dangers in Oxford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oxford
- 111 Reviews
- 145 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 213 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Oxford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oxford
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 171 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 111 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 74 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 74 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 54 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 51 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 47 reviews, 95 photos
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oxford University & Colleges- 89 Reviews, 203 Photos
- Punting- 16 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Bridge of Sighs- 17 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Christ Church- 29 Reviews, 45 Photos
- Radcliffe Camera- 18 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Bodleian Library- 16 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Carfax Tower- 10 Reviews, 18 Photos
- University Church of St. Mary- 14 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Magdalen College- 10 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Sheldonian Theatre- 12 Reviews, 16 Photos
See All Oxford Things to Do