"The Oxford Story" Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford by barryg23

Oxford Travel Guide: 969 reviews and 2,057 photos

Town & Gown

I left Oxford in the summer of 2003 after spending two fantastic years in a city which, for me, is the nicest in England. In the first year I studied for a Masters at Oxford University and following that I stayed on to work for a year while my girlfriend finished her finals.

It was with a heavy heart I left Oxford that summer though I was excited about moving to London. Much as I like living in London, there are many things I miss about Oxford: punting on the river in summer, exploring the pubs in Jericho, walking Port meadow to the Trout Inn, nights in College Bar, the social life in St. Anne's...

• Intro Updated Jul 24, 2006

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Very nice page with beautiful photos and useful tips! I am glad to hear that Oxford is not so bad in winter!

• Sep 3, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Rosamund Clifford was said to have been poisoned by Eleanor of Aquitaine, but in fact she seems to have died a natural death at Godstow Nunnery.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2010 at 1:08 PM

The Magdelen is very impressive along with all the other nice sites in this community. My son-in-law was there last summer for studies and loved it very much. We hope to get there too. You did a find job of presenting the area.

• Sep 14, 2009 at 6:43 AM

You should visit there at night some strange goings on I can tell you, went there on Friday we all saw what looked like a glowing shapeless grey figure going along the tow path past the nunnery!

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2009 at 4:05 AM

Interesting, but most tips are very short... I'll be moving to Oxford in a month and really looking forward to it! Thanks for sharing, Golo

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2008 at 5:59 AM

great Oxford tips Barry I'm going to be one of those annoying day trippers! Seems odd the bridge of sighs is not over water

• May 13, 2008 at 11:07 PM

New management makeover in 2007 - Be warned.

• May 9, 2008 at 3:30 AM

Way out of date.

• Aug 18, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Just stayed there for a couple of days, Service was bad, price high. Moved to the Old Bank Hotel - When I checked out, The Randolph charged 2 pounds, $ 4.00 to use my credit card. Rubbed salt in my wound. Who checks out of an expensive hotel with cash?

• wadekorzan's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2007 at 3:24 AM

What a nice Oxford page, looks like such a nice place! Great job!

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Badges & Stats in Oxford