"Barry's Kilkenny Page" Kilkenny by barryg23

Kilkenny Travel Guide: 307 reviews and 657 photos

Medieval City

Kilkenny is one of Ireland's most beautiful cities. It's Ireland premier medieval city and, at one point, many centuries ago, it was capital of Ireland. Nowadays it is Ireland's smallest city. It has retained much of it's historic appearance while simultaneously becoming a modern city.

My Real Home

I was born in Kilkenny and lived here until I was 22 years old. My family still live here so I return here very often and despite moving away 5 years ago I still consider Kilkenny to be home. I think living away from where you grew up makes you see it in a very different light.

All-Ireland Champions Again

Anyone who follows Hurling will know Kilkenny is one of the finest hurling counties. Kilkenny has won the Championship 29 times - only one behind Cork who hold the record with 30. Kilkenny's most recent win was in 2006. No matter where I'm living or travelling I try to watch the final hen Kilkenny are in it and I've watched recent finals in New York, Oxford, Bratislava and London.

• Pros:Good pubs and nightlife
  • Cons:Living in a small town can get to you
  • In a nutshell:My real home!
  • Last visit to Kilkenny: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 16, 2006

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Thanks for visiting our Kilimanjaro pages! I see Tanzania is on your list of places to visit...we would definitely recommend it!

• IrishFem's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Hi Barry, nice tips on Kilkenny. Looking forward to reading your tips on South America.

• doug48's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 8:30 PM

barry, visited kilkenny last may, what a great town. some historic things to see, but the best part was great pubs and very nice people. regards, doug48

• Sep 10, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Beautiful photos! Silly question.........Is Green's Bridge the bridge shown in the film "Breakfast on Pluto"? Cillian Murphy walks over it twice I think)

• Dec 4, 2006 at 8:18 AM

Hey, I am just after moving to Kilkenny and I'm lookin for a few places that would have a good crowd during the week. I was wondering do you know of anywhere? Monday night is supposed to be a big enough night here??

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2006 at 1:22 AM

Nice page. Would love to hear more about the Kilkenny Castle ghost.

• Bilimari's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2006 at 9:12 PM

I visited Black Abby and St. Mary's on my first visit to Kilkenny. I've been there for 3 times so far, and had the best Shepherd's Pie at the local diner. :) -Motoko-

• jakiline's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2006 at 1:17 PM

Hi Barry! I drove past Kilkenny, but didn't stop. Will do next time. My favourite pub in St-LO is twinned with a pub in Kilkenny ...story to be continued.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2006 at 3:19 AM

Sweet Barry, the little choir boy ; )

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2006 at 1:23 PM

if you show me Kilkenny, I'll show you Crete...have a look at my Crete pages for a preview.:):)

barryg23 Used To Live Here!

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Badges & Stats in Kilkenny

Have you been to Kilkenny?

Latest Activity in Kilkenny