"Hiking in the Knockmealdown Mountains" Knockmealdown Mountains by barryg23

Knockmealdown Mountains Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 45 photos

The Knockmealdown Mountains are located in Southern Ireland on the borders of County Tipperary and County Waterford. The range stretches 25 km from east to west and there are at least 15 different peaks, the highest of which is Knockmealdown, at 794 meters, making it the 46th highest mountain in Ireland.

The Knockmealdown range offers wonderful hiking and walking opportunities and they are easy to access. Clogheen in South Tipperary is the nearest village to the mountains though the larger towns of Clonmel and Cahir could also be a base for a visit.

Despite this ease of access there is a definite sense of remoteness when hiking on the range. On our most recent trip we climbed six of the main summits and walked for 8 hours, yet we met only two other people all day!

• Pros:Beautiful scenery, easy access
  • Cons:Paths are very bad in places
  • In a nutshell:A great place to hike
  • Last visit to Knockmealdown Mountains: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 19, 2007

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2007 at 5:14 AM

I was attracted by the name, of course, and bowled over by the mountain scenery!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2007 at 10:33 AM

What a lovely hiking area! Good luck on your one year trip!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 6:14 AM

And I'd be doubly nervous if I was hiking with someone named al in the Knock Me Al Down mountains ;-)

• MAIGO's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 4:46 AM

Hi,Barry-san! Thank you for coming to my page. And today I so enjoyed beautiful Knockmealdown views! What a lovely Country you live ! Go raibh maith agat.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2007 at 11:23 AM

What an excellent page about beautiful mountain area! Never heard about this place. I wish I would climb one of these hills and admire panoramas from there. Thanks Barry for sharing!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2007 at 6:05 AM

Barry, fabulous new page with interesting facts about the 46th highest mountain in Ireland. I can't believe you met only two people within 8 hours of hiking. I hope you had at least a pint of beer with them ... *winkygrin*

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Badges & Stats in Knockmealdown Mountains

Have you been to Knockmealdown Mountains?