"The Lezard Rouge" Al Metlaoui by barryg23
Al Metlaoui Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 38 photos
After we left Tozeur our plan was to head north to Kairouan and Sousse for a few days. We broke the journey a couple of times, first at Metlaoui, a drab, dusty town in the phosphate rich Jerid area. Metlaoui attracts lots of tourists for one reason - the Lezard Rouge. This is a special tourist train which runs from Metlaoui to Seldja and back 5 times a week. The trip takes you through some narrow gorges and the scenery is pretty spectacular.
As I've said elsewhere on my Tunisia pages I think the Lezard Rouge is a bit of a tourist trap. You can see equally good scenery with your own transport and the amount we paid for the trip was more than we paid for a room in most hotels. Nevertheless, I've put the pictures and tips up here for anyone who would like to view the scenery.
It was all very British getting back on the train. Everybody went to their own place even in the standing sections. The... more travel advice
When we emerged from the tunnel the train stopped and everyone climbed down to take pictures. There was such a rush to... more travel advice
barryg23's Related Pages
Al Metlaoui Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Lezard Rouge"
- "Le Lézard rouge"
- "The Red Lizard Train"
- "Not so deserted desert"
- "U-N-D-E-R _______ C-O-N-S-T-R-U-C-T-I-O-N !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Al Metlaoui
- Transportation in Al Metlaoui
- Restaurants in Al Metlaoui
- Warnings and Dangers in Al Metlaoui
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Al Metlaoui
- 6 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Al Metlaoui?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Al Metlaoui
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 171 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 111 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 74 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 74 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 54 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 51 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 47 reviews, 95 photos
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue