"The Lezard Rouge" Al Metlaoui by barryg23

Al Metlaoui Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 38 photos

After we left Tozeur our plan was to head north to Kairouan and Sousse for a few days. We broke the journey a couple of times, first at Metlaoui, a drab, dusty town in the phosphate rich Jerid area. Metlaoui attracts lots of tourists for one reason - the Lezard Rouge. This is a special tourist train which runs from Metlaoui to Seldja and back 5 times a week. The trip takes you through some narrow gorges and the scenery is pretty spectacular.

As I've said elsewhere on my Tunisia pages I think the Lezard Rouge is a bit of a tourist trap. You can see equally good scenery with your own transport and the amount we paid for the trip was more than we paid for a room in most hotels. Nevertheless, I've put the pictures and tips up here for anyone who would like to view the scenery.

• Last visit to Al Metlaoui: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 13, 2006

• Minceta's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2011 at 4:19 AM

Hi, Barry! Hereby I would just like to say hello to you from Belgrade. If you want, we can stay in touch. best regards from a rainy and rathe cool Belgrade today, Jasmina

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Hi, Barry! Wonderful experience, thanks for your description!

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2009 at 8:08 AM

One hell of a train ride!! Wow. thanks for the vivid sharing

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Hi Barry - settling back into life in the UK - or rearing for yr trip to Jordan soon!?nice pg here of a place Id like to have got to - tho the train sounds horrifically full....!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2008 at 10:22 PM

Logged on vt and you page here was featured Barry so I thought I'd have a squiz. What an adventure! .....and plenty of wonderful memories :o) Enjoyed the read & pix. Cheers, Ann :o)

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2008 at 4:21 AM

I've heard about this train journey before but then I guess I've been to Tunesia more than 10 years ago. The old style salon carriages look great.

• grets's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2007 at 4:39 AM

I like train journeys, but this one does look rather touristy as you say. It wasn't running when we went to Tunisia in 1989. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Fantastic sceneries. I see that we skipped something but we saved 40 Dinars haha. Good advice on camera with a fast shutter speed!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2006 at 2:12 AM

Too bad you have been deceived by the Lézard Rouge, which was not our case. In April, I guess that we were lucky with an excellent light for photos and much less travelers on board. No large groups. I saw a small brave group hiking all the way!

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Badges & Stats in Al Metlaoui

Have you been to Al Metlaoui?

Latest Activity in Al Metlaoui