"Gateway to Southern Tunisia" Gafsa by barryg23

Gafsa Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 23 photos

An Underrated City

Gafsa is one of the largest towns in southern Tunisia and while most travellers pass through here on their way to Tozeur, Douz and beyond, few stop for long to explore.

We visited Gafsa while travelling in the other direction, on our way north towards Kairouan. Initially we planned to stay only for lunch but the more we explored the more we started to like the place. It doesn't seem like there's much to see at first but stick around and you'll be surprised.

• Last visit to Gafsa: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 6, 2006

• Jul 16, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Your information was very useful about open-air of Roman Polls. But I don't where it is located.. The polls is made by which century and also made by whom?? But it was really useful information. Thank you Mr.Barry

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2009 at 7:08 PM

I do like these little provincial towns. Tunisia's still to come for me - Must make it over the border next time I'm in Libya.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Looks to be a nice place to stroll around in during an afternoon. Nice tips Barry!

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Just keep writing great tips and I'll keep using them if they apply to where I'm going. thank you again

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2009 at 1:44 AM

great Gafsa page here. I liked your tips and photos too.

• Penelope4's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Beautiful sight and the smell must have been too! It's too hot also in Afghanistan and the vendors end up selling overripe fruits.

• Jul 22, 2008 at 9:34 PM

It was a good experience to read the articles and contents on this site. http://www.gujaratonnet.com

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Haha, I remember kids jumping to the Roman Cisterns for money or just a pen/cigarette. I enjoyed also local markets in Gafsa but didn't like heads of dead camels displayed somewhere there. I've never heard of an mysterious incident in 1980 - interesting!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2006 at 2:26 AM

I agree with you that Gafsa is under rated. Sure that markets designed for the locals and not for tourists are the place where to go for fair prices! The Roman cistern is always a nice place with all the kids jumping!

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Badges & Stats in Gafsa