"Old Kebili" Kebili by barryg23

Kebili Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 42 photos

New vs Old

After spending a couple of days in Douz we were ready to continue our journey across southern Tunisia. Our plan was to drive across the Chott el-Jerid (salt lake), supposedly one of Tunisia's most fascinating sights, to Tozeur. Our first stop was at Kebili, which is about an hour's drive north of Douz, and is the last major stop before the Salt Lake.

Like many towns in Southern Tunisia, Kebili can be divided into old and new parts. The new town has grown in recent years following the decline and eventual abandonment of the older town, in 1980. I don't know why Old Kebili was abandoned though my guess is that shops, restaurants and other businesses developed around Boulevard de l'Environnement and Avenue Bourguiba, the roads connecting Kebili to Douz and elsewhere, and that people gradually moved out in search of money.

"New" Kebili is a similar sized town to Douz though it has much fewer attractions for visitors. There isn't a whole lot to see in the town, and with few restaurants or hotels most visitors don't linger. The few restaurants that were there didn't look tooappealing.

We thought it might make an interesting detour to visit the abandoned old town so we stocked up on picnic provisions in the New Town (a trickier task than it sounds) and then drove out through the oasis to Old Kebili.

• Pros:Lovely abandoned old town in the oasis
  • Last visit to Kebili: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 2, 2006

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 11:58 PM

You have made a great trip, Barry! ><>< Good for you! ><><><

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Thanks again, this time for the walk through a ghost town.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2007 at 8:21 AM

Very good tips. Thanks for refreshing my memories. I remember most very green oasis, very white mosque and adobe houses.

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Badges & Stats in Kebili