"Tunisia's Lively Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Tunis by barryg23

Tunis Travel Guide: 330 reviews and 1,051 photos

Tunis feels very different to the rest of Tunisia.

When we arrived in the Ville Nouvelle my first impression was that Tunis was like a French town. The taxi dropped us off at Avenue Bourguiba, a long, tree-lined Avenue with many cafes, restaurants and hotels and even a huge cathedral. This wasn't quite what I was expecting from Tunisia!

• Last visit to Tunis: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 24, 2006

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2015 at 5:15 AM

Nice page

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Good tip on the Taxi. I think the shopping would be quite interesting here!

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2010 at 4:26 AM

Hi Barry, Am considering visiting Tunis around Christmas. Some useful and helpful tips which make the city sound even more tempting. Thanks,Mike

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Hey, like the sound of restaurant Carthage! Solid tips, as always :) D

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2009 at 12:23 PM

We passed through Tunis many years ago - thought I remembered nothing of the place, but thanks to you I now recall seeing the cathedral! That bar sounds great, as do your restaurant tips, & you convey a fascinating sense of this "Europe meets Arab" world

• euzkadi's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Thank you for the information, i visited the bar, enjoyed the great night views and a couple of beers. Really was hard to find it.

• Kid-A's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2007 at 11:44 PM

Thanks for the info on Tunis. It looks like my girlfriend and I will be vacationing in Tunisia in December for a couple of weeks. Greetings from Germany, Brian.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2007 at 1:06 AM

I loved my visit to Tunis so its nice to see your pics - mine are still all on 35mm pre my digital era!I recommend Maison Doree - getting a bit frayed but nice staff and place with character - clean and low priced - in the Rough guide and LP too i think.

• Daja123's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Your pictures and descriptions are wonderful. A very interesting journey. I also visited this place some years ago and I stil like to remember it. Thanks so much for your visit to my Ljubljana page... ;-)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2007 at 2:17 AM

Very good tips and beautiful pictures. My first accommodation in Tunisia was in Tunis and it's very cheap and awful! Well, I liked more Sidi Bou Said than Tunis.

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Badges & Stats in Tunis