"Tunisia's Lively Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Tunis by barryg23

Tunis Travel Guide: 329 reviews and 1,050 photos

Tunis feels very different to the rest of Tunisia.

When we arrived in the Ville Nouvelle my first impression was that Tunis was like a French town. The taxi dropped us off at Avenue Bourguiba, a long, tree-lined Avenue with many cafes, restaurants and hotels and even a huge cathedral. This wasn't quite what I was expecting from Tunisia!

• Last visit to Tunis: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 24, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Good tip on the Taxi. I think the shopping would be quite interesting here!

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2010 at 4:26 AM

Hi Barry, Am considering visiting Tunis around Christmas. Some useful and helpful tips which make the city sound even more tempting. Thanks,Mike

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Hey, like the sound of restaurant Carthage! Solid tips, as always :) D

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2009 at 12:23 PM

We passed through Tunis many years ago - thought I remembered nothing of the place, but thanks to you I now recall seeing the cathedral! That bar sounds great, as do your restaurant tips, & you convey a fascinating sense of this "Europe meets Arab" world

• euzkadi's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2008 at 10:21 PM

Thank you for the information, i visited the bar, enjoyed the great night views and a couple of beers. Really was hard to find it.

• Kid-A's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2007 at 11:44 PM

Thanks for the info on Tunis. It looks like my girlfriend and I will be vacationing in Tunisia in December for a couple of weeks. Greetings from Germany, Brian.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2007 at 1:06 AM

I loved my visit to Tunis so its nice to see your pics - mine are still all on 35mm pre my digital era!I recommend Maison Doree - getting a bit frayed but nice staff and place with character - clean and low priced - in the Rough guide and LP too i think.

• Daja123's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Your pictures and descriptions are wonderful. A very interesting journey. I also visited this place some years ago and I stil like to remember it. Thanks so much for your visit to my Ljubljana page... ;-)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2007 at 2:17 AM

Very good tips and beautiful pictures. My first accommodation in Tunisia was in Tunis and it's very cheap and awful! Well, I liked more Sidi Bou Said than Tunis.

• Darkswede's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2007 at 11:03 AM

3 star hotel after european standards, they did give me a suite, sitting room / seperate bed room ,top floor. The furniture was very old and dirty chairs and bed overs and the carpets you didnt want to walk on without protection on your feet.

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Badges & Stats in Tunis