"Angouleme" Angoulême by barryg23

Angoulême Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 47 photos

Work

I worked in Angoulême, as a barman in a local Irish pub, during the summer of 1998. Finding vacation work in France is no easy task, and after sending letters to all the Irish pubs in Paris and failing to get past Disneyland Paris's interviews (the guy recruiting only liked cute Irish girls - that ruled me out!) I decided that to find work I'd have to resort to the 'it's not what you know it's who you know' routine.

So I asked my neighbour (who travelled and bought wine in France) if he knew of any employment opportunities. Lo and behold, he mentioned an Irish pub in Angoulême and I thought - 'Why not?'. Not knowing how to spell or pronounce Angoulême, or even where it was exactly, I began packing my bags......

Actually I first had a phone interview with the pub owner - this was half in broken French (mine) and half in broken English (his), and after getting a good response to "Pouvez-vois me dire la salerie", I was on my way....

The Kennedy Irish Pub

I remember feeling very adventurous (and a little nervous) at Dublin airport. I had never worked abroad before, and wasn't sure what I was letting myself in for. I had done reasonably well in French at school but that had been two years previously. Tthere was no turning back now though.

I sat beside a French lady on the plane and she told me a bit about Angouleme and the surrounding Charente region. She also recommended taking a bus from CDG to Gare Montparnasse. This I did, but we got delayed in Paris traffic and I almost ended up missing TGV connection. I finally arrived in Angouleme at 6 in the evening and I was met at the station by the girlfriend of the pub owner.

At first I coulden't understand a word she was saying and all I could do was nod and say 'Oui'. Hopefully, she was asking me yes/no type questions. Things got better when we arrived at the pub. I had a glass of Kilkenny and felt like I had never left home.

All About Angouleme

Angoulême is the capital of the Charente region of Frace. It's situated about 300 miles southwest of Paris, and 75 miles northeast of Bordeaux. The fortified town is on a hill overlooking the juncture of the Anguienne and Charente rivers below. The lower town’s character differs greatly from that of the upper town.

• Pros:Working in an Irish Pub
  • Cons:Working in an Irish pub:)
  • In a nutshell:I want to go back!!
  • Last visit to Angoulême: May 1998
  • Intro Updated Feb 5, 2003

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Get some Guiness and an irish barman and voila youve got an Irish pub!Has been a fascinating read though and down around Bordeaux is still where Im hoping to do some more driving around.

• Carmanah's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2007 at 11:59 AM

This page is great! I have friends from this region and instead of halves, they order 5- bottles of Bordeaux for the table throughout the night. So perhaps it's all in the choice of drink. ;)

• chess_machine's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2005 at 3:42 PM

Great page and great sense of humor!!! Well, to answer one of your question: yes, there is a binge drinking culture in Ireland... But be reassured here also there is a binge drinking culture... with wine. The beer we dont drink, we drink it in wine.

• Apr 30, 2004 at 5:12 PM

An Irish pub AND the World Cup!?!?! Talk about perfection!! Slainte!

• Jun 16, 2003 at 9:16 AM

My girl is from Angoule'me, in fact her and our son are there now. We live in Buffalo, New York. Having never been to Angoule'me, i just wanted to thank you for letting me see a little bit of my girlfriend's hometown. More pictures needed. Thanks again.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2003 at 8:17 AM

Great page, you big lush!!! ;-)

• jide08's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2003 at 3:33 AM

Nice page. As for passing for an Irish girl, I have seen many bloked trying a green wig . ;)

• o00o's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2003 at 6:53 AM

Awesome photos and great tips.

• Mar 9, 2003 at 1:58 PM

a half for me, please .. hahahaha ... ehm NO!

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2003 at 12:00 PM

I work for a slavedriver too.

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Badges & Stats in Angoulême

Have you been to Angoulême?

Latest Activity in Angoulême