"Meknes" Top 5 Page for this destination Meknes by barryg23
Meknes Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 256 photos
We had only the briefest stop at Meknes on the way to Rabat from Fes. Our original plan was to stay here for a whole day but we couldn't find anywhere to leave our bags while exploring so had to carry them around with us and hence only stayed for the morning. I certainly wouldn't advise carrying a backpack around the medina in Meknes!
We tried both train stations and the CTM bus station but none of them would take our bags. In the CTM place, they would only take them if we could prove we had a bus booked, at the main train station which was under renovation there was no left luggage, while at El-Amir station there was a left luggage but apparently it was closed. Never mind that there was four people sitting in the office doing nothing!!
By this point I was fed up of Meknes and we almost hopped on the next train to Rabat. Instead we decided to have a quick look around the medina. We took a petit taxi to Bab El-Mansour and began our tour. Maybe the museum would take our bags? But it being Monday, the museum was closed, so we had to carry them around the tiny streets in the medina. Apologies to all the people and donkeys I bumped into...
Despite all our bad luck, I really liked what I saw of Meknes and would have liked to have seen more. Fes is probably the most similar Moroccan city in terms of history and culture, but Meknes was more relaxed with much fewer tourists.
In 2007 we returned to Meknes and finally got our chance to see the city properly. Having hired a car in Fes and driven to Moulay Idriss and Volubilis, we drove on to Meknes and stayed overnight. The following day we explored the Imperial city and the medina. It was so much easier without those backpacks!
- Pros:The Imperial city and the historic medina
- Cons:No left luggage office!
- In a nutshell:A quieter version of Fes
The main square in the medina is Place el Hadim, on whose northern end lies the entrance to a vast network of souks and... more travel advice
Containing one of the most important religious sites in Morocco, Moulay Idriss was for many years off limits to... more travel advice
barryg23's Related Pages
Meknes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "M E K N E S"
- "Imperial City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Meknes
- Hotels in Meknes
- Transportation in Meknes
- Restaurants in Meknes
- Shopping in Meknes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Meknes
- 16 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Meknes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meknes
Photos in MeknesSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 171 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 111 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 74 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 74 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 54 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 51 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 47 reviews, 95 photos
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue