"Meknes" Top 5 Page for this destination Meknes by barryg23

Meknes Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 256 photos

First Visit to Meknes

We had only the briefest stop at Meknes on the way to Rabat from Fes. Our original plan was to stay here for a whole day but we couldn't find anywhere to leave our bags while exploring so had to carry them around with us and hence only stayed for the morning. I certainly wouldn't advise carrying a backpack around the medina in Meknes!

We tried both train stations and the CTM bus station but none of them would take our bags. In the CTM place, they would only take them if we could prove we had a bus booked, at the main train station which was under renovation there was no left luggage, while at El-Amir station there was a left luggage but apparently it was closed. Never mind that there was four people sitting in the office doing nothing!!

By this point I was fed up of Meknes and we almost hopped on the next train to Rabat. Instead we decided to have a quick look around the medina. We took a petit taxi to Bab El-Mansour and began our tour. Maybe the museum would take our bags? But it being Monday, the museum was closed, so we had to carry them around the tiny streets in the medina. Apologies to all the people and donkeys I bumped into...

Despite all our bad luck, I really liked what I saw of Meknes and would have liked to have seen more. Fes is probably the most similar Moroccan city in terms of history and culture, but Meknes was more relaxed with much fewer tourists.

Seeing Meknes Again

In 2007 we returned to Meknes and finally got our chance to see the city properly. Having hired a car in Fes and driven to Moulay Idriss and Volubilis, we drove on to Meknes and stayed overnight. The following day we explored the Imperial city and the medina. It was so much easier without those backpacks!

• Pros:The Imperial city and the historic medina
  • Cons:No left luggage office!
  • In a nutshell:A quieter version of Fes
  • Last visit to Meknes: Mar 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 12, 2007

• iris2002's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2008 at 11:32 AM

Buenas tardes :) and how are you two getting on with your adventure??? Save journey and soak it up, Irish style :) best wishes - Iris

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2007 at 7:52 AM

Meknes was my absolute favourite of the King's Cities of Morocco - too bad you were not lucky with your backpacks! Glad you liked what you saw anyway!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2006 at 9:00 AM

Beautiful pictures. I'd add one more: of your backpacks.

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2006 at 12:24 AM

I had exactly the same sensation than you about morocco !

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Badges & Stats in Meknes