"Morocco's Holy City" Top 5 Page for this destination Moulay Idriss by barryg23

Moulay Idriss Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 113 photos

Moulay Idriss is named after the founder of the city and the founder of the Idrissid Dynasty, which went on to reign in Morocco from the 8th to the 11th century. It has long been recognised as Morocco’s most important religious city and is an important pilgrimage site for those wishing to pay their respects at the mausoleum of the city’s founder.

Until the mid twentieth century, only Muslims could visit Moulay Idriss. One of the guide books I read prior to my visit claimed that non-Muslims were not very welcome here and that they could not stay overnight in the city though I think this rule has now been rescinded.

Faced with all this history we were a little apprehensive about what we’d find in Moulay Idriss and about how we would be welcomed. But we need not have worried. The mosques and shrines are still closed to non-Muslims (as is the case in most Moroccan towns) but Moulay Idriss was certainly not as ancient and traditional as we might have expected. We met the same faux guides you meet in every town while anytime we walked past a restaurant we were accosted by the waiters.

• Pros:Very few western tourists. Beautiful views from the terraces above the town
  • Cons:No maps in any guide books, can be difficult to find your way around
  • In a nutshell:Combine with Volubilis for a great day-trip from Fes or Meknes
  • Last visit to Moulay Idriss: Mar 2007
  • Intro Updated May 13, 2007

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 2:36 PM

I have the best of memories of Moulay Idriss, so this page is delightful to look at! I did not realize that Voloubilis is THAT close to here! Aaaargh!!! Thanks for a fine little page!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Lucky you were to discover Moulay Idriss covered for non-Muslims for a long time and could appriciate this ancient city. Roman ruins at Volubilis impresses a lot! Great VT-job, Barry!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2007 at 11:47 AM

an interesting page about a special place in Morocco !

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Badges & Stats in Moulay Idriss

Have you been to Moulay Idriss?