"A Nice Town" Nice by barryg23

Nice Travel Guide: 1,788 reviews and 3,840 photos

Nice

If I had known beforehand that a 20 Francs supplement was all that was needed to upgrade to TGV, I'd defintely have taken it for our journey to Nice. We spent six long hours on the SNCF train from Lyon to Nice and it was quite a journey. We did meet some interesting people though - we travelled on one of those old style trains where each carriage is divided into compartments of six seats and in our compartment there were: two Danish guys on their way to a festival in Cannes, a French guy who told us interesting stories about the towns we were passing through, and another person whom I've since forgotten.

At one point two people who had actually reserved tickets came to claim their places. Luckily we kept our seats though it was goodbye to the Danes who had to stand for the rest of the journey. Once we got to Provence the scenery, especially alongside the coast, was enough of a diversion to keep the journey interesting. We finally arrived in late afternoon and, for once, found our accomodation straight away.

Nice was our base for exploring the Cote d'Azur and we stayed here four night. I could easily have stayed four weeks. It's not the prettiest town on the coast but probably the best place for cheap accomodation anfd for travelling to other places.

• Pros:Weather, location, relatively cheap
  • Cons:Stones on the beach & too many tourists.
  • Intro Updated Oct 16, 2004

barryg23

“Back from my year in Latin America. Quite a few VT pages to write!”

Badges & Stats in Nice