"Hiking around Cachi" Cachi by barryg23
Cachi Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 75 photos
Cachi is a small, enchanting village in the Valles Calchaquies, an area of rugged and beautiful landscapes west of Salta in north-west Argentina.
Cachi may look close to Salta on a map, but it takes about 4.5 hours to get here along narrow, switchback roads. The compensation for the long journey is the beautiful views along the way, especially the climb up the Cuesta del Obispo. The village doesn't receive as many tourists as you might expect - but those who do make the trip are rewarded with sunshine, clear mountain air and good hiking opportunities in the surrounding region.
The village is at 2280 metres altitude and has a population of about 2000 people. There are a small number of hotels and restaurants in the village and there is an ATM. Despite the altitude, the climate is quite agreeable. Day time temperatures reached 35 degrees when we visited in October 2007 - though it did cool down once the sun went in.
There are a couple of interesting sights in the town, such as the church and the small museum. However, it's the landscapes that make the most striking impression, and there are a couple of good hikes around the village that allow appreciate the scenery.
- Pros:Fantastic location, great hiking
- Cons:Very little information on sights or hikes
- In a nutshell:A lovely, quiet place to stop for a few days
Our favourite place for dinner in Cachi was a small restaurant just beyond the south-west of the square. The restaurant... more travel advice
Cachi has an attractive main square, Plaza 9 de Julio, covered in tall trees, providing a great place to hide in the... more travel advice
barryg23's Related Pages
Cachi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hiking around Cachi"
- "Cachi in the Valles Calchaquies"
- "Valle de Calchaqui"
- "Unexplored and amazing"
- "Day trip to Cachi from Salta"
- "Cachi, Argentina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cachi
- Hotels in Cachi
- Transportation in Cachi
- Restaurants in Cachi
- Warnings and Dangers in Cachi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cachi
- 10 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Cachi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cachi
Photos in CachiSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 171 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 111 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 74 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 74 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 54 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 51 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 47 reviews, 95 photos
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue