"A town of Bodegas" Top 5 Page for this destination Cafayate by barryg23
Cafayate Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 160 photos
I'd never heard of Cafayate before coming to Argentina but as we travelled through the country we bumped into many travellers who recommended a visit to the town. As often happens while travelling, it's the places you don't know about initially but discover along the way that can turn out to be the most memorable.
That was certainly the case with Cafayate, where four fantastic days were spent hiking in the countryside, visiting family owned vineyards, enjoying excellent wines, and in general just relaxing and enjoying life.
Cafayate is the second most important wine growing area in Argentina after Mendoza, but the vineyards and bodegas in Cafayate are far more traditional, welcoming and interesting than the larger ventures in Mendoza. Cafayate is well known for its excellent Torrontes wine. I'm not normally a white wine fan but after tasting a torrontes in Cafayate, I almost gave up red wine for the duration of our stay!
The town is at altitude of 1683 metres and enjoys an excellent climate with plenty of sunshine. The population is about 10,000 but despite its popularity with tourists it still retains a small town feel and charm.
There is good hiking very close to the town, especially around the Rio Colarado a few kilometres to the west, while further afield the the rock formations on the road from Salta are a very popular attraction.
- Pros:Wine, hiking & waterfalls
- Cons:Difficult to find information about trekking and climbing
- In a nutshell:An essential stop in a beautiful part of Argentina
After leaving Cafayate we moved on to Tafi del Valle, four hours journey by bus to the south. There are two buses a day... more travel advice
Mendoza is well known as Argentina's wine growing capital but the next most important wine area is Cafayate, which... more travel advice
barryg23's Related Pages
Cafayate Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A town of Bodegas"
- "Cafayate : the Far-West of Argentina"
- "Cafayate, For the Wine and Colorful Canyons"
- "Quebrada de Cafayate"
- "Salta's Vineyard..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cafayate
- Hotels in Cafayate
- Transportation in Cafayate
- Restaurants in Cafayate
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cafayate
- 12 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Cafayate?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cafayate
Photos in CafayateSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 171 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 111 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 74 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 74 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 54 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 51 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 47 reviews, 95 photos
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue