"Gateway to the Glaciers" El Calafate by barryg23
El Calafate Travel Guide: 292 reviews and 750 photos
After travelling through remote Patagonia and hiking for days in El Chalten, El Calafate came as something of a shock, what with all its hotels, restaurants and tourists.
It's one of the most popular destinations in Argentina, and has grown significantly in recent years. Prices are noticeably higher than elsewhere in Argentina. What brings all the visitors is the town's location, as gateway to the Perito Moreno glacier, in nearby Glaciers National Park.
There are a couple of interesting sights in the town too, though without the glacier, there would be much fewer visitors. We stayed two nights in El Calafate after travelling down from El Chalten.
To anyone planning to see this part of Argentina, I would recommend spending as much time as possible in El Chalten rather than in El Calafate. While the Perito Moreno glacier near El Calafate is undeniably impressive, it pales in comparison to the scenery at Fitz Roy, near El Chalten, while the crowds and prices at El Calafate make it something of a tourist trap.
- Pros:Proximity to Glaciers National Park, nice location on Lago Argentina
- Cons:Very touristy, more expensive than most other places in Argentina
The Perito Moreno glacier is what attracts almost all tourists who visit El Calafate. The glacier is located 80km west... more travel advice
There is a small airport in El Calafate, 23 km east of the town. Given how far El Calafate is from the rest of... more travel advice
barryg23's Related Pages
El Calafate Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El Calafate: Between the Steppe and the Ice"
- "Wild and wonderful"
- ":: El Calafate ::"
- "Perito Moreno - a breathtaking spectacle"
- "El Calafate - glaciers and steppe"
- "El Calafate"
- "Glaciares y Estancias / Glaciers and farms"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Calafate
- Hotels in El Calafate
- Transportation in El Calafate
- Nightlife in El Calafate
- Restaurants in El Calafate
- Shopping in El Calafate
- Warnings and Dangers in El Calafate
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Calafate
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to El Calafate?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Calafate
Photos in El CalafateSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 171 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 111 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 74 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 74 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 54 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 51 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 47 reviews, 95 photos
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue