"The most beautiful place in Argentina" Fitz Roy by barryg23
Fitz Roy Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 156 photos
In three months travel through Argentina we experienced some memorable sights: the lights and colour of Buenos Aires; the powerful waters of Iguazu Falls; the beauty of the Lake District; the dry, dusty landscapes of the north-west.
But none of them compared to the beauty of Fitz Roy, the northern sector of Glaciers National Park, a rugged, remote wilderness, where dozens of glaciers flow from the Southern Patagonian ice fields into deep blue lakes and where the fierce southern winds have sculpted the mountains into (almost) impossible to climb granite needle.
Part of the appeal of Fitz Roy is its remoteness. Getting here by road involves days of travel through the bleak, windy and inhospitable terrain of Patagonia, while arriving by air to El Calafate means a four hour journey to El Chalten, access town to Fitz Roy.
In the 1980s, El Chalten was little more than a tiny settlement, a couple of houses catering to the occasional visitors who came to hike in FitzRoy. Since then El Chalten has mushroomed and new hotels and guesthouses are springing up every month, though there is still no ATM, limited internet connectivity, and a feeling that you are a long way from anywhere else.
From El Chalten, the spires of Fitz Roy are visible in the distance, but they are best experienced close up, and are accessible by a network of trails extending from the village to the glaciers. We stayed 4 days in El Chalten, walking almost 90km in 4 days, taking in trails to Cerro Torre, Cerro Fitz Roy and other peaks.
- Pros:Stunning scenery, great hiking
- Cons:Unpredictable weather, fast growth in tourism
- In a nutshell:A highlight of Argentina
For the first three days in El Chalten, we'd had mixed weather. It didn't rain, but the skies were never really clear,... more travel advice
Laguna Sucia is one of the smaller lagunas in Glaciers National Park. It stands below the Rio Blanco glacier and is... more travel advice
barryg23's Related Pages
Fitz Roy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El Chaltén - Home of Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre"
- "The most beautiful place in Argentina"
- "Photo Journal of The Fitz Roy Range Los Glaciers"
- "I can reach highest mountains..."
- "FITZ ROY"
- "Mountains & autumn foliage in El Chalten Argentina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fitz Roy
- Hotels in Fitz Roy
- Transportation in Fitz Roy
- Nightlife in Fitz Roy
- Restaurants in Fitz Roy
- Warnings and Dangers in Fitz Roy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fitz Roy
- 13 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Fitz Roy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fitz Roy
Photos in Fitz RoySee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 171 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 111 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 74 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 74 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 54 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 51 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 47 reviews, 95 photos
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue