"Water, water everywhere" Parque Nacional del Iguazù by barryg23
Parque Nacional del Iguazù Travel Guide: 399 reviews and 1,166 photos
Argentina is full of natural wonders, with one of the best known being the beautiful Iguazu Falls in Misiones province in the far north east of the country. It's hot, humid and a good distance from most major Argentinian cities (20 hours by bus to Buenos Aires), but no one who makes the long trip north regrets it after seeing the falls.
According to Guarani legend the Iguazu Falls were created when a jealous forest god, attempting to stop his girl escaping by river with her lover, made the riverbed collapse in front of them, giving us the famous Garganta del Diablo. It´s easy to understand why the Guarani attributed a divine intervention to the creation of the falls as they are spectacular, one of Argentina´s, even South America´s, most beautiful sights. Though we had seen the falls on film in The Mission and in pictures before, nothing really prepares you for seeing it for real.
The falls are shared between Argentina and Brazil, with the majority on the Argentinian side. They are part of the Iguazu Falls National Park which lies 20 km east of Puerto Iguazu, the closest town. Inside the park are trails leading to viewing platforms for all the major waterfalls, including the big one, Gargantua del Diablo (Devil's Throat). There are also nature trails leading into the jungle, where there's a good chance of seeing wildlife as you leave the crowds behind.
We spent two days visiting the Argentinian side of the falls, which was just enough time to see everything. On the first day we concentrated on the main trails and waterfalls, while the second day saw us on a very quiet hiking trail in the morning, then on San Martin island in the afternoon, followed by a boat trip under the spectacular San Martin waterfall.
Iguazu Falls is one attraction that definitely lives up to the hype. The National Park is very well run, the trails are excellent and laid out nicely, and there is a great variety of sights. I would suggest a two day minimum visit for the Argentinian side, with an extra day for the Brazilian side if you have the time.
A Brazilian perspective
The park can also be visited from Brazil. I preferred the Argentinian side as the trails are longer and there are more viewpoints, but the Brazilian side is worth visiting to get a different perspective and nice take-it-all-in views of the park. See my Parque Nacional do Iguaçu page for more.
I've also written a blog about my trip to Iguazu Falls.
- Pros:Beautiful falls, great trails, a well run national park
- Cons:None at all, it's a must see and well worth the effort to get here.
- In a nutshell:One of the great natural sights of Argentina
Despite the huge numbers of visitors to Iguazu National Park, there is a surprising amount of wildlife to be seen. Many... more travel advice
It's understandable that many people skip the Interpretative Centre as it's more fun seeing the park than reading about... more travel advice
barryg23's Related Pages
Parque Nacional del Iguazù Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Iguazu Falls - The World's Most Spectacular!"
- "Falling Water . . ."
- "An amazing experience at Iguazu Falls"
- "The End of the Rainbow"
- "Finally to the Falls"
- "Devil's Throat - Garganta del Diablo"
- "Yguazù : Agua grande !!!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Hotels in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Transportation in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Nightlife in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Restaurants in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Shopping in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Warnings and Dangers in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- 12 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Parque Nacional del Iguazù?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Best of The 00's. Your picks."
- Wrote a Review Wildlife in Iguazu Falls in Parque Nacional del Iguazù Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wildlife in Iguazu Falls"
- updated a Parque Nacional del Iguazù Travel Page "Water, water everywhere"
- Commented on one of Maggies's Parque Nacional del Iguazù travel pages
Photos in Parque Nacional del IguazùSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 171 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 111 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 74 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 74 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 54 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 51 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 47 reviews, 95 photos
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue