"Purmamarca and the seven coloured mountain" Top 5 Page for this destination Purmamarca by barryg23
Purmamarca Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 92 photos
Purmamarca is a small village along the Quebrada de Humahuaca in north west Argentina.
It's famous for its location below the striking and beautiful Cerro de los Siete Colores (Seven Coloured Mountain), and as one of the nearest Quebrada towns to Jujuy city, there is no shortage of visitors to Purmamarca.
The seven-coloured mountain is best seen from Cerro Verde, a hill opposite the town, from where the main picture on this page was taken. And it more than lives up to its name - I reckon there are far more than seven colours visible.
The beauty is not just restricted to Purmamarca and its seven coloured hill as the whole area is full of stunning colours and panoramas. Most people arrive at Purmamarca by bus, but a nicer way to do it is by bicycle. If you stay in Tilcara, as we did, you can rent bikes and travel 25km south to Purmamarca along a road that passes some of the most impressive scenery in Argentina.
Other than the seven coloured hill, in Purmamarca you can appreciate the 17th century church and the ancient algarrobo tree in the church grounds. Or walk the 3km Paseo de los Colorades, a circular path around the seven coloured mountains. Or explore the local market on the main square. All in all, Purmamarca is a great place to visit, a part of Argentina that I knew little about before I visited, but a part which I consider amongst my favourites.
- Pros:Seven-coloured mountain, good hiking around the village
- Cons:Fewer hotels and restaurants than Tilcara
- In a nutshell:A small village with beautiful scenery
Regular buses run between Jujuy and Bolivian border, along Ruta 9, the main road through the Quebrada de Humahuaca. Many... more travel advice
One of the best known symbols of Purmamarca is the ancient Algorrobo tree, which stands in the grounds of the church, on... more travel advice
barryg23's Related Pages
Purmamarca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Purmamarca : the village of the 7 colors mountain"
- "Village of the many colors"
- "Purmamarca and the seven coloured mountain"
- "Peaceful and colorful Purmamarca"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Purmamarca
- Hotels in Purmamarca
- Transportation in Purmamarca
- Nightlife in Purmamarca
- Restaurants in Purmamarca
- Shopping in Purmamarca
- Warnings and Dangers in Purmamarca
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Purmamarca
- 9 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Purmamarca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Purmamarca
Photos in PurmamarcaSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 171 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 111 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 74 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 74 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 54 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 51 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 47 reviews, 95 photos
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Purmamarca hotel reviews
- Hosteria del Amauta
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013