"Lewis Town" Trelew by barryg23
Trelew Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 62 photos
Trelew was our next stop after Puerto Madryn, and straight away we noticed how less touristy a place it was in comparison to Madryn. For every 10 backpackers in Madryn, there was about 1 in Trelew. Trelew has no hostels and few cheap hotels, though with the help of a friendly girl in Tourist Information, we managed to find a double room for 50 pesos a night!
Our main reason for visiting Trelew was to see Punta Tomba, a penguin colony home to thousands of Magellanic penguins. However, the weather put paid to that as our planned excursion was cancelled and, as we had already booked onward travel to El Bolson, we couldn't rescheduble.
We had also hoped to see Gaiman, a traditional Welsh town, but the conditions were so bad that we only stayed there a couple of hours. I guess in Patagonia you are always at the mercy of the weather.
Nevertheless, we had a couple of enjoyable days in Trelew, which, despite its Welsh heritage is a refreshingly untouristy town. The town was founded in 1886 as a railway junction and was named after Lewis Jones, one of the first Welsh settlers.
- Pros:Less touristy than Puerto Madryn
- Cons:Not much fun in the rain
- In a nutshell:Good base for Punta Tomba & Welsh Patagonia
Trelew is something of a transport hub for Patagonia and has many onward connections. After two days in the rain in... more travel advice
The Museo Pueblo Regional de Luis is a small museum, housed in a beautiful museum, the former railway station, also the... more travel advice
barryg23's Related Pages
Trelew Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lewis Town"
- "Bonio in Trelew"
- "Atlantic Patagonia's Central City"
- "just a short stop-over by plane"
- "Trelew- Patagonia"
- "Amazing wild life"
- "It was all about the Paleontology Musuem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trelew
- Hotels in Trelew
- Transportation in Trelew
- Restaurants in Trelew
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trelew
- 8 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Trelew?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trelew
Photos in TrelewSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 105 reviews, 171 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 111 reviews, 145 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 74 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake District National Park Intro, 50 reviews, 138 photos
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 74 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 54 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cambridge Intro, 51 reviews, 93 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 47 reviews, 95 photos
- Prague Intro, 44 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue