"In The Jungle of Western Belize" Cayo District by ymike2000

Cayo District Travel Guide: 313 reviews and 814 photos

Mountain Pine Ridge

Mountain Pine Ridge is an odd section of Belize. One minute you're traveling through tropical jungle, the next you're in Vermont. Not really, of course, but the abrupt change in vegetation made me think for a moment we'd just entered the Green Mountain state.

At the official entrance to Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve you'll stop at a gate where a ranger will record your vehicle information. This is to monitor camping and logging, and also for authorities to know exactly who is in the reserve. It's not unheard of for tourists to get lost or get stuck on the muddy roads.

Sadly, the area is not as green as it once was. Apparently the pine trees are under attack from a certain species of beetle. What was once dense forest now has many bare spots. Hopefully measures will be taken to control the pests and restore the region to it's full beauty.

Mick's Place

While travelling on Chiquibul Road towards Mountain Pine Ridge, our guide Mick stopped to give us a tour of his own property, where he intends to build a resort. The property is near the Green Hills Butterfly Ranch.

You can arrange to visit through Dr. Johnson at Iguana Creek Resort, see the info on my Ontario Village pages.

• Last visit to Cayo District: Jan 2003
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2003

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2005 at 8:18 AM

Excellent tips Mike!! This page is a great overview of some of the many things to enjoy (or not!) in the San Ignacio area! I just booked a few days in Feb/06 at The Trek Stop close to the Guatemala border.

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2005 at 11:23 AM

Thanks for the tips, I'll be in Belize soon so I appreciate the info!

• Sep 28, 2004 at 2:35 PM

Hi Mike, great landscape, beautiful pictures! I wish you a great time on the tour with the band! :-)

• florry's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2004 at 4:26 AM

HI, i love your photos, great caves!! Greetings from ireland...

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2004 at 10:13 PM

I've been to many places but not a jungle. Blue Hole looks like some place special!

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2003 at 7:46 AM

Awesome photos, good tips.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2003 at 7:50 AM

Loved your comments, esp trap tip. When we were at Hidden Valley we met 3 folks from the lodge on bikes - they had been told it was about a hour's ride. Took them 4.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2003 at 11:54 PM

Excellent tips and photos! I havn't been there but it looks like nice places.

• diver-x's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2003 at 6:28 PM

Great pages! Thanks for the info and love the photos! I hope to go this year!

• yeah_baby's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2003 at 4:52 PM

caves, waterfalls and the jungle! everything needed for great adventureland, thanks for sharing!!

ymike2000

“Turn and face the strange”

Badges & Stats in Cayo District

Have you been to Cayo District?

Latest Activity in Cayo District