"Land of volcanoes around Mount Aso" Aso-san by Pavlik_NL
Aso-san Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 36 photos
The region around mount Aso is the largest caldera-crater in our world. Being inside you can barely believe that all this is actually a crater from what once was a huge volcano. The eruption, or better still total explosion, left a gab in the earth as big as half the island of Kyushu. Only when you carefully look around you can see around you in the distance the crater-walls rising up on all sides. Clouds get stuck in the crater and drift helplessly against the sides. In the centre, some new volcanoes were born and not often show there firy glow in the night. Straight through the crater is a railroad connecting some villages in this agricultural, not so touristic area of Japan. Kumamoto could be used as the gateway, Beppu for leaving. Stay in both places and an extra night inside the volcano. Enjoy the people and ... here you can finally eat some meat again (after weeks of mainly rice and fish). Proudly one will present to you Kumamoto-cow and it tastes perfect when made in a gourmet-kind way.
Because of the volcanic soil, the bottom of Mt. Aso-caldera is very furtile. Therefor this is an ancient agricultural... more travel advice
Kumamoto-cow. The people are proud of having something else then fish on their menu. Because the agricultural... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Aso-san Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of volcanoes around Mount Aso"
- "Volcano !"
- "FLEEZED ASO"
- "Mount Aso, Japan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aso-san
- Hotels in Aso-san
- Transportation in Aso-san
- Restaurants in Aso-san
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aso-san
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Aso-san?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aso-san
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues