"Helgoland, a red rock in the Northsea" Top 5 Page for this destination Helgoland by Pavlik_NL
Helgoland Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 195 photos
Having friends somewhere else is great. I met some wintersportfriends in Austria that lived in Cuxhaven, way up North in Germany (the part of the country that resambles The Netherlands completely). Bremen is here a wonderful town with Hanze-history (the old trading-treaty that connected towns from Russian Novgorod until Doesburg (near my hometown Arnhem in The Netherlands). In the Altstadt (Oldtown) many buildings remind of these rich days of Bremen. Cuxhaven itself lies at the Elbe-mouth and along the Wadden-islands. The Waddensea stretches North over Holland, Germany and West from Denmark. This is a very special natural habitat as during low-tide the area is dry, yet during high-tide it's sea. Only the protecting chain of islands hold out the raging waters of the Northsea. It is a very special adventure (best done in Northern Netherlands) to walk once from the mainland "through the sea" to one of the islands. Do it with a professional guide! as we do not want you to drown as the tide unexpectedly runs in. Onto the Northsea there is a very strange island: Helgoland. Well, island, you can better say a huge redsand cliff that sticks above the water. It has belonged to the Danish, the English, pirates and now it is German (strategic it's a important place that holds the Deutsche Bugt and the entrance of the Elbe-river). The red cliffs are very high and withstand the forces of wind and water for already many millenia. Of course the inhabitants of the island gave them pretty names, like on the picture: Long Anna
When visiting Northern germany and having the possibility to go to Helgoland, one should take it immediately. From... more travel advice
Well, it's a small museum, but if you want to know more about helgoland, the best opportunity to find out whatever you... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Helgoland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Helgoland - A pearl in the Northsea"
- "A Quiet Little Island in Germany's North Sea"
- "Sweet little island"
- "Helgoland, a red rock in the Northsea"
- "The island exchanged for Zanzibar"
- "Helgoland- Rocky island of the german Nordsee"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helgoland
- Transportation in Helgoland
- Restaurants in Helgoland
- Shopping in Helgoland
- Warnings and Dangers in Helgoland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helgoland
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Helgoland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helgoland
- Posted in Travel Kasteel Doorwerth Forum "Re: s`nachts rondlopen op zoek..."
- Wrote a Review Helgoland, a unique red rock in the North sea in Helgoland Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Helgoland, a unique red rock in the North sea"
- created a Helgoland Travel Page "Helgoland, a red rock in the Northsea"
Photos in HelgolandSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues