"Tea growing in the shade of a mega hotel" Dagomys by Pavlik_NL
Dagomys Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 30 photos
We choose Dagomys as our homebase for exploring the greater Sochi area as it is situated in the centre of the long town Sochi (170 kilometres along the coast) to which the village belongs. The name Dagomys has several translations, but most likely it is "shadowy or cool forest" taken from Adygean language. The village is situated just outside Sochi over the top of a small cape stretching into the Black Sea. This spot was popular among the tsar Nicolas II (the last tsar), that built a small summer residence here. Sadly enough, due to war and the revolution, he never got the chance to enjoy it. The Sowyet's took over the place of his small palace and built the Dagomys hotel here, one of the largest of Sochi.
Dagomys is also the place where in the late 19th century a Russian man, Kozman, started to grow teaplants. Russian tea tradition was already excisting, but now Russia got also it's own tea plantages in the surruondings of Dagomys as well as the most Northern area's that this plant is growing. In the smaller village parts up the mountain (Uch D'ray and Soloch Aool) this can be seen as well as enjoyed. A small museum tells about Kozman and his enterprise and a beautifully situated Tea House gives you the opportunity to taste a full Russian tea. This last is done with a spectacular view over Dagomys, it's surrounding foresty hills and the Black Sea.
In Dagomys two beaches attract the visitors. One public and the privat beach of hotel Dagomys that can be visited after paying entrance. Both can be called okay and have a load of entertainment, though the Dagomys hotel beach is cleaner and less crowded. more about the beaches in my tips, as well as information about the tea plantations, the Russian tea as well as Dagomys itself.
Sochi is, on average Russian terms, bloody expensive. Many Russians now-a-days choose to go to Egypt of Turkye for their... more travel advice
Along the public beach of Dagmoys the most nightlife is taking place. Several restaurants and dancings are present on... more travel advice
- Watersports, parasailing and diving
- No comparison with western staying
- Train to Sochi, Mashootki to Dagomys
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Dagomys Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dagomys - a district of the Big Sochi"
- "Tea growing in the shade of a mega hotel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dagomys
- Hotels in Dagomys
- Transportation in Dagomys
- Nightlife in Dagomys
- Warnings and Dangers in Dagomys
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dagomys
- 13 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Dagomys?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dagomys
Photos in DagomysSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues