"A wonderful summer day in Russia's ski resort" Krasnaya Polyana by Pavlik_NL
Krasnaya Polyana Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 39 photos
Krasnaya Polyana is situated about 40 kilometers from the Black Sea coast at a height of 400 meters in the river Mzymta valley. Surrounded with mountain tops that go over 2.000 meters, it's a beautiful place in the Caucasus mountain. Only recently (last decade) this town starts to blossom as the number one skiresort of Russia (also favourit by president Vladimir Putin himself). It has been a tourist attraction already longer, but without facilities, ski circumstances were rather extreme. Now more and more lifts are being built besides the already opened traject to the summit of the ....... mountain at almost 2.300 metres.
The way to Krasnaya Polyana is of both beauty as well as terror. To this last this year will bring an end, when tunnels will be ready and the difficult mountain pass will be only for tourists and dare devils. Until recently a very narrow road went straight through the Mzymta canyon and consisted of a road that was cut out of the mountainside and on many places barely wide enough to fit one car (and this road was then used in both direction similtanously!). Last year trafficlight regulated the upgoing and downgoing traffic, which still ment a dazzling drive over a curvy road, but ... with spectacular views into the canyon.
Krasnaya Polyana means "Red or Beautiful Ground" (ground in the sense of property). It is actually a village shaped in long stretches along the place where the rivers Malinki (small) and Bolshaye (large) Mzymta join. In summertime this place is of almost un-Russian beauty in sense of clean air and envirnoment. With a chairlift that concists of four sections, you can go from the valley (400 meters) to the top of the ..... mountain in about 45 minutes. Along the way you enjoy spectacular views and lovely silence.
Another possibility of a extreme sport is rafting on the river Mzymta that comes from Krasnaya Polyana, where the... more travel advice
Mountain or alpine flora always has found an admirer in me. I like the fine, yet so strong plants that survive this... more travel advice
- Taste "forel" (Trout), a local delicasy
- Bus or car, will drive you this far
- Dress up as a Caucasian goatherder
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Krasnaya Polyana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Drowning in Snow"
- "Krasnaya Polyana"
- "A wonderful summer day in Russia's ski resort"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Krasnaya Polyana
- Hotels in Krasnaya Polyana
- Transportation in Krasnaya Polyana
- Restaurants in Krasnaya Polyana
- Warnings and Dangers in Krasnaya Polyana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Krasnaya Polyana
- 13 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Krasnaya Polyana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Krasnaya Polyana
Photos in Krasnaya PolyanaSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues