"Beautiful Monschau in the Eifel-hills" Top 5 Page for this destination Monschau by Pavlik_NL
Monschau Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 304 photos
To say that Monschau is nice would be a terrible understatement. Monschau is truely beautiful and has a charm that knows to enchant the visitor in an almost suiting way. Walking through the old streets and gazing at the "Fachwerk" houses (the woodworks criss-cross through the plastered walls), it makes you feel like being placed in a late medieval century. Monschau is the best there is in the Eifel-hills and should - on a tour through this environment - not be forgotten.
Already in 1198 the name Monschau is recorded in written language. Around this time the castle, including the lookout-tower across the valley, should have been built and attracted more and more villagers to Monschau until it got recognised as a town. It’s not clear if the castle was built first as a house for a nobel person (Walram of Limburg)or if it started out as a monastry. The town also has belonged to the Spanish-Habsburgian empire under Charles the Fifth who conquered this area in 1543 and kept it 1609. Like many other towns in this area it saw also many other conquerors, like the French in 1795. Monschau became famous for it’s textile-industry in the 16th century. In the wide surroundings the demand was high for Monschauer linnen. Most buildings here have belonged to rich textile-traders or producers. The “Red House” is the most exquisite example of the wealth that this manufacturing brought and in here you can also find a museum about this timeframe in Monschau.
The district of the little town Monschau holds now-a-days several other villages inside it’s municipality. Höfen, Imgenbroich, Kalterherberg, Konzen, Mützenich and Rohren are since 1972 part of it’s jurisdiction. Monschau itself lays on the little river Rur (not to be confused with the Ruhr in the Ruhr-area) at a hight of 350 meters until 650 meters over sea level. The main drive of present Monschau is tourism and it doesn’t wonder anyone that such little town that has 396 officially declared monumental buildings of which 270 are direct in it’s centre. Monschau is an open air museum and a pleasure to walk through. Around every corner there is yet another idyllic place.
Traditional German Weihnachts / Christmas market. A festival that here is extra traditional as chances of snow are here... more travel advice
Monschau is beautiful, but in combination with the great green nature surrounding it, it is even better. Take the... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Monschau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Monschau in the Eifel-hills"
- "Monschau - Montjoie"
- "Well preserved houses from the middle ages"
- "Monschau, Germany"
- "Idyllic town in the border of Belgium and Germany"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monschau
- Hotels in Monschau
- Transportation in Monschau
- Restaurants in Monschau
- Shopping in Monschau
- Warnings and Dangers in Monschau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monschau
- 14 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Monschau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monschau
- Posted in Travel Nijmegen Forum "Re: Where should I live and how..."
- Commented on one of Pavlik_NL's Monschau travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "A closer look at Monschau's houses"
- updated a Monschau Travelogue "A closer look at Monschau's houses"
- Wrote a Review Every year from the first advent-weekend in Monschau Local Customs
Photos in MonschauSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues