Sochi Warnings Or Dangers Tips by Pavlik_NL Top 5 Page for this destination
Sochi Warnings and Dangers: 3 reviews and 3 photos
Sochi welcomes you on the WInter Olympics 2014
Recently all over the internet, as well as on TV and the papers, the Sochi Olympic wintergames are - sadly enough again - the subject of political reviews. With this small article I would like to emphasise not to let yourself be mislead by the medieval statements of Putin's regime and keep being aware that Russia had millions of hospital people that will invite you in such heartwarming way, that you are in for a unforgetable journey. The WInter Olympics will be a feast, despite the enormous amounts of money that ended up in the wrong hands through corruption and yes, homofobia is something that Putin's propaganda forces are spreading around the less intelligent of the Russians, but ... please think twice in boycotting the Winter Games or not wanting to visit this beautiful area deep down South in Russia. It will send the wrong message, as most Russians would immediately send Putin home, if there would be a stable successor to his "thrown". Again, most Russians will invite you with open arms and overwhelm you with guidance, help and even throw in the usual hospitality of a extravagant dinner at their homes.
As far as for visitors that are going to Sochi, remember to go to the beaches and maybe even take a dive into the Black Sea, while skiing, scating, bobsleighing and other winter sports are taking place just around the corner. This is the unique thing of Sochi ... a microclimate with all winter facilities in the mountains (especially around Krasnaya Polana), while the sea is (for the more sportive swimmer) still warm enough to have a wonderful swim under the winter's sun. Have fun!
Extreme restaurant- and shopping centre in Sochi
One of the most awkward things I see in Sochi in multiple way that I already discovered it in other Russian towns and cities, is the spending of government money. These fundings (always too low as the tax percentage in Russia is on average much to low and doesn;t reckon with height of income) should be for the people. Taking care of their living environment and benefits that help them through difficult times. Still, city administrations spend outrageous amounts of money in status objects, such as fountains, large special buildings and monuments. Only little sponsorship is raised to provide money from the business world (that has more then enough!). Most remarkable is yet the fireworks that are provided by the city on holidays and celebrations. Millions of roubles are literally blown sky high!
The suburbs for the (poor) masses ...
It's amazing that even here, in this climatological paradise, this "Saint Tropez" of Russia, almost nothing is truely clean. Even in the centre of Central Sochi streets definately can be cheered up by more flowers and at least a more often cleaning job. The more one goes to the outskirts, the more surprised one will be. While in the real Saint Tropez the streets will stay clean, yet the houses will become bigger and more luxereous, here in Sochi the opposit happens. The same enormous concrete blocks provide appartments for the less fortunate and the streets are - like in every other town and city - filled with garbage and left behinds of the people. I hope a certain awareness about "how it also could be" will soon reach the Russian mind and a more clean Russian suburb will appear (and I am not talking about the compounds of "new Russians" or other closed town parts.
More Reviews (29)
- Some Sochi history
- See All Remembering those who fell, even here
- See All Busses, Mashootki or go on foot
- See All Want indoor entertainment: go to the...
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Sochi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sochi from 1960th till 2000th"
- "Pearl of Russian resort"
- "10 days at Russian Riviera!"
- "Russia's number one bathing resort"
- "Sochi - a Black Sea Resort with a Mountain Backing"
- "South of Russia-Sochi and Black Sea"
- "A beach resort"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sochi
- Hotels in Sochi
- Transportation in Sochi
- Nightlife in Sochi
- Restaurants in Sochi
- Shopping in Sochi
- Warnings and Dangers in Sochi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sochi
- 32 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Sochi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sochi
- Posted in Travel Arnhem Forum "Re: getting a bus map"
- Wrote a Review Sochi and the Winter Olympics 2014 in Sochi Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sochi and the Winter Olympics 2014"
- Commented on one of JuliaMac's Sochi travel pages
- updated a Sochi Travel Page "Russia's number one bathing resort"
Photos in SochiSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues