"Russia's number one bathing resort" Top 5 Page for this destination Sochi by Pavlik_NL
Sochi Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 316 photos
Sochi, deep down the South of Russia's Black Sea coast, is by far the most popular bathing resort for this huge country and the only remaining hotspot within the countries borders (the popular Krym-area and Odessa surroundings, are now situated in the Ukraine). Sochi stretches out between Adler on the Georgian border and Tuapse vicinity. Until the third decade of the 19th century, this area was Turkish (Osman) territory, but slowly the Kozak army of the tsars conquered Southwards until the mountains of the Kaukasus. These mountains create a beautiful coastline along Sochi's long spread territory. On one side the blue waters of the Black Sea and on the other side the green mountaintops rising until 1.500 meters heigth. Further land inward tops exceed over 4.000 meters to reach the highest European peak on the Elbrus, 5.642 meters!
The shape of Sochi-territory is strange, very strange. It stretches out over 270 kilometers close against the coast and concists of several towns and villages, that are connected by a coastal road and a railway. One can regard to Sochi as one district, but longest city of Europe is maybe a little overdone. Lazerovskoe is the most Northern outskirt of greater Sochi, to follow over many other little villages (such as Loo and Dagomys) to "Central Sochi". South of this true Sochi that I will show in this page are several townparts (or actually quite independant looking towns) again: Khosta and Adler.
Still, Central Sochi is very much worth your attention and I will show you some delights in this summer resort of Russia. True, it is actually from and for Russians and you will hardly find any foreign tourists in this place. This is on one hand a shame, on the other hand, Russian tourism is hardly inviting foreigners with necessary flexibility (lingual skills, foreign ways for booking holidays and international flights to and from Sochi-Adler). If these things would change, Sochi can very well be a popular holiday resort for Europeans and people from other continents. Temperatures are in summertime very hot and the sea water temperatures even reaches an outrageous 28 degrees Celsius. Besides this beachfun, the area offers a wide variation in interesting cultural, historical and entertainment attractions, such as mountain villages, traditional Russian items, caves, castles, museums, dolfinarium, waterfalls, hiking traisl through amazing nature and more. Check out also my Dagomys, Adler and Krasnaya Polyana page to get a full image on the Sochi territory.
Recently all over the internet, as well as on TV and the papers, the Sochi Olympic wintergames are - sadly enough again... more travel advice
Though Sochi did not get a share of the violence, Sochi became one huge field hospital in the great patriotic war... more travel advice
- See All Busses, Mashootki or go on foot
- See All Want indoor entertainment: go to the...
- Walk the boulevard at night
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Sochi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sochi from 1960th till 2000th"
- "Pearl of Russian resort"
- "10 days at Russian Riviera!"
- "Russia's number one bathing resort"
- "Sochi - a Black Sea Resort with a Mountain Backing"
- "South of Russia-Sochi and Black Sea"
- "A beach resort"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sochi
- Hotels in Sochi
- Transportation in Sochi
- Nightlife in Sochi
- Restaurants in Sochi
- Shopping in Sochi
- Warnings and Dangers in Sochi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sochi
- 32 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Sochi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sochi
- Posted in Travel Delft Forum "Re: Where are all the nice,..."
- Wrote a Review Sochi and the Winter Olympics 2014 in Sochi Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sochi and the Winter Olympics 2014"
- Commented on one of JuliaMac's Sochi travel pages
- updated a Sochi Travel Page "Russia's number one bathing resort"
Photos in SochiSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues