"Ameland, pearl of the "Wadden"-islands" Ameland by Pavlik_NL
Ameland Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 127 photos
In the North of The Netherlands we have a very special sea, that follows it's waves all the way to Germany and eventually Denmark. This is the "Wadden zee" and the amazing part is that with lowtide it is dry or very shallow, while with hightide it is a real sea. The sea is parted from the Northsea by many islands that are forming a natural protection against the open sea. The islands are actually a large row of dunes, that have been broken through on several places, forming in- and outlets for the water. One of these islands is Ameland. A paradise for many, but that will be clear in my pages and tips.
When Ameland is on it's Northside meeting the Northsea, on it's Southern side it is flanking the "Wadden" sea. The landscape on either side is completely different. On the Northsea side wide beaches and high dunes protect the island (as well as the "Wadden" sea and The Netherlands itself, from the rages of the Northsea. Now-a-days, mankind lends a helping hand. On the "Wadden" side are polders and "kwelders" (open lands that are influenced by tidal movements of the sea) ...
... The polders are protected by a sea dike and house the villages of Ameland: Hollum, Ballum, Nes and Buren (West to East). Without the dike, the villages would regularly be surprised with springtides and storms, bringing the seawater to their doors. Without the help of men, the island would eventually not stand a chance towards the rising sealevel, but sand suplletion now strengthens the beaches and dunes. The island also would have been "moving" Eastwards as the tides are taking on the Westpoint of Ameland and actually giving on it's Westside. The disappeared village "Sier" is an example of that natural process (see tips). The larger villages Hollum and Nes you'll find under Must see activities, the smaller Ballum and Buren under "Off the beaten path".
Do you like the sea and the beach? Are you interested in history? Is your idea of holiday sportive activities? Do you... more travel advice
Between the mainland of The Netherlands and the island Texel, Vlieland, terschelling, Ameland and Schiermonnikoog, a... more travel advice
- See All Buren, long time ago a ship was wrecked
- See All Sier, the disappeared village of Ameland
- See All THE brown cafe on the island Ameland
- See All Largest restaurant in the centre of Nes
- See All Nothing more romantic then a house in...
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Ameland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ameland, pearl of the "Wadden"-islands"
- "I was so much younger then!"
- "Peaceful spot to relax"
- "Dunes on Ameland"
- "Ameland: Wadden diamond of the islands"
- "Wadden Island Ameland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ameland
- Hotels in Ameland
- Transportation in Ameland
- Nightlife in Ameland
- Restaurants in Ameland
- Shopping in Ameland
- Warnings and Dangers in Ameland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ameland
- 89 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Ameland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ameland
- Posted in Travel Kasteel Doorwerth Forum "Re: s`nachts rondlopen op zoek..."
- Commented on one of nighthawk's Ameland travel pages
- updated a Ameland Travel Page "Ameland, pearl of the "Wadden"-islands"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Selection of remaining pictures"
- Wrote a Review Ameland, a holiday paradise for everyone in Ameland Favorites
Photos in AmelandSee All Photos (107)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues