"Amersfoort, old fortified town in the middle of NL" Top 5 Page for this destination Amersfoort by Pavlik_NL
Amersfoort Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 384 photos
Strawling along the old canals, watching the remainders of the citywalls and being amazed at the gates. Seeing the monumental buildings and the large churchtower mirror in the silent water. Roaming through little alleys and being surprised at the little strange shops you find here. Yes, Amersfoort is a town full of wonders. So, let me show you little around through this old Dutch fortress.
Though Amersfoort is definately worth a closer look, it can also be admired with a quite good impression in a couple of hours walking through the old innertown. Here is the beauty and is the atmosphere that make Amersfoort the intresting place it is. Find a parkingspot, leave the car and start getting around going by the little alleys and from canal to canal.
Amersfoort counts around 130.000 inhabitants and is the second twon within the small province of Utrecht. Already in 1259 the town got it's cityrights and in the century before that it started builing it's fortifications among the citywall. Within the two canal rings, the now-a-days city centre, there is a treasure of monumental houses and other buildings of which some original gates, parts of the citywall and the great Our Dear Ladies churchtower.
The citycentre of Amersfoort is not large. A circle with diameter of around one mile (1 1/2 kilometer). Therefor the... more travel advice
By car Amersfoort is quite good connected to the freeway system in The Netherlands. Around the innertown a ring of... more travel advice
- See All The perfect get-a-way from Amsterdam
- See All From the HEMA 'til strange antique shops
- See All Buildings - For a while the Amersfoort...
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Amersfoort Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amersfoort The city of monuments"
- "Amersfoort, old fortified town in the middle of NL"
- "Amersfoort, a pleasurable place"
- "Amersfoort (Keistad)"
- "The Stone City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amersfoort
- Hotels in Amersfoort
- Transportation in Amersfoort
- Nightlife in Amersfoort
- Restaurants in Amersfoort
- Shopping in Amersfoort
- Warnings and Dangers in Amersfoort
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amersfoort
- 34 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Amersfoort?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amersfoort
Photos in AmersfoortSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues