"Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend" Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam by Pavlik_NL
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,391 reviews and 21,853 photos
Amsterdam, our historical and (too) tolerant capitol has a name that goes in between famous and infamous. The canals with their typical houses enchant many tourists, the Dam(-square) is a great place and the Central-station-area also amazes many visitors. But the shock is big if you're not used to the Dutch tolerance and you suddenly walk the streets of the Red-Light-district or when a Rasta-man approaches and asks if you might want to try one (we're talking about a joint here!). Amsterdam is known to be the most tolerant town in the world.
Yes, I say town as it has not (yet) one million inhabitants and doesn't deserve the title city. The Netherlands however are one big city, of which Amsterdam is an important suburb. The cultural centre of Randstad Holland.
Unique is in Amsterdam - who doesn't know - the canals. That is why Amsterdam is viewed best by canalboat. There are canalbusses that have several stops. This way you can hop on and of the boat, which is a great pleasure if you want to see more then one spot in town.
Amsterdam is a very busy town. The streets are full, yet - if you look carefully and take the right roads - you can also find peaceful spots. You're very welcome and can ask me specific question anytime by e-mail or read some tips for furthermore information.
Amsterdam has historically seen welcomed always oppressed minorities (starting with the jews from Southern Europe in the medieval times). Until today, this proces goes on and even so fast that soon (2030) Amsterdam will have more then half non-Dutch residence. Some say it is even today already, as illegals and tourists are never counted in these official poles. Anyway, look around for yourself and see ...
There is a saying in The Netherlands: Rotterdam is where the money is made (the harbour and engine of the country). The Hague is where the (tax)money is devided (the governemental seats in The Hague). Amsterdam is where the money is spend (the official capitol is also number one in shopping, cultural and nightlife).
Amsterdam used to be full of warehouses where the goods of the VOC ships were stored until sold. Now-a-days the centre... more travel advice
Amsterdam's main architecture is found along the canals. The huge variety in canalhouses will leave most architecture... more travel advice
- See All Getting it cheap ... on the market(s)
- See All Looking out on the Vondelpark
- See All 80.000 bicycles per year!
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 108 Reviews
- 135 Photos
- 88 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: Are tulips still in bloom on..."
- Commented on one of pieter_jan_v's Amsterdam travel pages
- Wrote a Review Living like luggage in Amsterdam Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Living like luggage"
- created a Amsterdam Travelogue "Left-over pictures of "Good Old Amsterdam""
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (135)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues