Arnhem Shopping Tips by Pavlik_NL Top 5 Page for this destination
Arnhem Shopping: 17 reviews and 19 photos
Noack is even a royal deliverer
"Arnhemse Meisjes" (local cookies), various local candy, souvenirs of Arnhem and Dutch origin ... one can get them all at the shop "Noack" in the "Vijzelstraat".
What to buy: "Arnhemse Meisjes" of course, though I prefer still the not baked and sugarcoated kind somewhat more (-:
Theme: Local Craft
"De Kweek Planeet" = the Growing Planet
Everybody has heard about the Dutch softdrugs policy. There's even a rule that every household is allowed to grow five "weet" plants (Dutch "grass" that makes you go higher then high). But growing them is quite the effort and one should know exactly what to do to have the finest harvest. At this shops one can help you out and deliver you the equipment you need to have your own small plantage and if allowed to import it, it would be a great souvenir of Holland ... (-:
Address: Pastoorstraat 1 a
Directions: Running parallel on the "Churchsquare". First right hand street when entering the Bakkerstraat.
Theme: Local Craft
Arnhem shoppingstreets, people busy with buying
In general, Arnhem's main shoppingstreets are like many others in The Netherlands. V&D, Hema, Bijenkorf, C&A, Kruitvat, Livera, Blokker, Xenos etc. etc. etc.
It's however the little backalleys and the shops there that make a shoppingtown special. For example the "Cookingisland", where you can find the craziest cookingecquipment. Buttons & Buttons that is completely specialised in ... you guessed right: buttons. Arnhem holds many little secret shops, as long as you are willing to get of the mainstreets.
The mainshoppingstreets are (from East to West): Steenstraat (from the small train station "Velperpoort" to the opera/concerthall Musis Sacrum), Vezelstraat, Land van de Markt, Ketelstraat, Koningstraat, Beekstraat and Bovenbeekstraat (a small piece), Bakkerstraat, Weverstraat, Rijnstraat and the Jansstraat. From the last two you walk to the central station within a few minutes.
Courtdelivery from Arnhem shops
Obviously when the royal family still lived in Apeldoorn, many of the members did shopping in Arnhem as in this town there are various shops and companies baring the "Hofleverancier"-sign (court deliverer), something which one can be proud off. So, look for the sign as visible in the picture when shopping in Arnhem.
Arnhem, home of it's famous girls
All towns and villages in The Netherlands have their speciality. "Haagse Hopjes" (kind of caramel-candy) come from The Hague, "Deventer Koek" ( a kind of cake filled with spices), "Zeeuwse Babbelaars" (candies made from butter) and "Arnhemse meisjes" (a thin fluffy cookie covered with sugar). If one is in Arnhem and one wants to try or buy a box with Arnhem prints on it. One can obtain it in a few places, for example the backershop in the Jansstraat (citycentre) and the souveniershop in the Ketelstraat (also citycentre shoppngstreets).
Still ... I prefer the other kind of "Arnhemse meisjes" (-:
What to buy: "Arnhemse Meisjes" are available at "Noack" in the Ketelstraat
Directions: Halfway "Ketelstraat" walking from the "Land van de Markt" to the "Jansstraat" and on your right side
Other Contact: NOACK delicatessen
Theme: Food and Drink
Nothing like fresh cup of Peezecoffee to wake up
Peeze Coffe has been a good name for more then a century in Arnhem and surroundings. In many cafe's and bars they still serve this coffee and I can well remember the times that I biked to school and smelled the lovely air of burned coffeebeans when crossing the bridge in the early morning. In several shops one can buy this excellent coffee, for example "Het Kookeiland" (Eiland), Noack (Vijzelstraat) and Lekker&Co.
What to buy: A "pond" (500 grams) Peeze coffee
Address: Koningsstraat, corner Land van de Markt
Theme: Food and Drink
Puppets, puppethouses and puppets.
As stated, it's the little shops in the alleys that make shopping exclusive or not. In Arnhem there are some shops worth with extra mentioning. In this tip it's first the "Puppethouse-shop". Somewhat outside the central shoppingstreets, here one can find everything that has to do with puppets and puppet's housing.
Another special shop is the "dinkytoy"-shop on "Het Eiland" (the geografical middlepoint of Arnhem). Do you seek a specific miniature-model of a certain car ... chances are big that here you will find it.
Directions: Het Poppenhuis
Gr. Lodewijkstraat 45
6821 EA Arnhem
Other Contact: saturd 10-16 (orby appointment )
More Reviews (59)
- See All Dancing the night away
- See All The queen and princess from England (-:
- See All For sushi and tepanyaki you go to:
- See All Cosy small camping in the forest
- See All The natural estates way up North
- See All See the old citycentre by foot
- See All The "Singels", a green circle around the...
- See All Markets in Arnhem
- See All Yet another place you don't want to end...
- See All Swimming in the forest
- Write down: ....
Been to Arnhem?Share your travels with the world!
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Arnhem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arnhem, green, green and more green"
- "These Arnhem pages are dedicated to Paul & Family"
- ""Garden City of the Rhine""
- "ARNHEM --A REAL GEM"
- "Five days alone in Arnhem..."
- "A visit I will never forget..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arnhem
- Hotels in Arnhem
- Transportation in Arnhem
- Nightlife in Arnhem
- Restaurants in Arnhem
- Shopping in Arnhem
- Warnings and Dangers in Arnhem
- See All...
Explore the World
- Garden Grove Hotels
- Chongming Dao
- Isla de Gran Canaria Hotels
- Currituck Hotels
- Del Rosa Hotels
- Shanghai Shi
Badges & Stats in Arnhem
- 66 Reviews
- 106 Photos
- 33 Forum posts
- 92 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Arnhem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arnhem
Photos in ArnhemSee All Photos (106)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (49)
Latest Arnhem hotel reviews
- Burgers Zoo- 13 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Open Air Museum- 9 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Devil's House - Duivelshuis- 5 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Airborne Museum- 6 Reviews, 9 Photos
- St Eusebius Church- 8 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Sonsbeek Park- 4 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Castle Roozendaal- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Kroller Muller Museum- 2 Reviews, 1 Photos
- Post Office- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos