"Assen, capitol of Drenthe's countryside" Assen by Pavlik_NL
Assen Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 368 photos
... which in this case is rather unfair as Assen is a friendly capitol with a compact centre that offers it's region (the province of Drenthe first) a complete selection of shops, entertainment and culture. The town is not so big, one can better speak about a village that has quite a lot of inhabitants (around 62.500 in 2004). This however can as much speak in favour of the place then be held against it. The shopping centre is cosy and friendly and offers a nice wariation in products. Furthermore the town as a few attractions, but those can be found out in my tip.
One of the nicest stories within the Netherlands is surely the legend of "Bartje", the farmers son within a typical (poor) family in Drenthe of the 19th century. The story shows wonderfully the was the people then lived and worked, the relgious and political changes of the regional Netherlands and teh problems that simple people had to deal with. The book, by Anne de Vries, as well as the television series, were quite popular in the Netherlands. Especially the phrase "ik bid nie vur bruun bon'n" (I will not pray for brown beans - spoken in dialect) is famous throughout the Netherlands.
One of the nicknames of Assen is that it is the town of mansions. And indeed, when one drives around the town and walks within the centre, there are some significant nice houses that draw your attention to their wonderful facades. Some of them have gotten a specific use (museum, exposition space etc.), others are still the estates of wealthy families.
Assen has a famous name in the motor racing world. Yearly the TT of Assen attracts thousands and thousands of motor fans... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Assen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Assen, my hometown"
- "Assen: capital of the province of Drenthe"
- "sandravdp's Assen & Emmen Page"
- "Assen - capital of the province of Drenthe"
- "province of Drenthe"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Assen
- Hotels in Assen
- Transportation in Assen
- Nightlife in Assen
- Restaurants in Assen
- Shopping in Assen
- Warnings and Dangers in Assen
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Assen
- 16 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Assen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Assen
Photos in AssenSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues