"A creek in the "Nijmegen empire"" Beek by Pavlik_NL
Beek Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 43 photos
"Beek", it actually means "Creek" in the Dutch language and there's no better name for this village that lays scenecally against the hills of the "Rijk van Nijmegen" (literally "the Nijmegen empire" which is the name of the hilly parts East and South-East of Nijmegen). These hills appeared after the ice from the third ice age pulled back and left pushed up sand humps in these neighborhoods. They steep North rim of them was created through the years that the river Waal (main current of the Rhine in the Netherlands) washed away bit by bit at the foot of the hills. Here's also where the Roman road connected Noviomagus (Nijmegen) and Xanten.
In medieval times people found out that the hills here had natural water supplies within them and made "wells" so little creeks appeared running down the hill. The water was very clean and could be used for laundring linnen and textiles. The water's movement made water mills grind grane and produce paper. A prosporous time started and the village "Beek" grew. The village started to become more worldly with a large church and some hotels (the start of tourism). This last especially appeared after a short period in which this neighborhood was quite popular by some famous Dutch painters that portretted the scenic environment of the foresty hills , seen from the flat "Ooij"polder (see my pages of "Ooij" and "Persingen").
Now-a-days these "industries" are no more, but tourism is still there. The town is visited frequently by Dutch and German travellers (Germany is only 5 kilometres away). The green natural splendour on top of the hills hold a few attractive surprises, such as the beautiful creek valley and the largest tree within the Netherlands, nicknamed the "Kabouter boom" (the dwarf's tree).
Nijmegen, the oldest town in the Netherlands, was a Roman outpost surrounded by a settlement in the beginning of our... more travel advice
Many people that live in Beek Ubbergen have something with gardening. This already Dutch item is taken very seriously... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Beek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beek in the provence Gelderland"
- "A creek in the "Nijmegen empire""
- "Beek Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beek
- Hotels in Beek
- Transportation in Beek
- Restaurants in Beek
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beek
- 18 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Beek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beek
Photos in BeekSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues