"Boxtel, centre of Brabant's "Meijerij"" Boxtel by Pavlik_NL
Boxtel Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 25 photos
When my former employer murge with two other companies in the same industry, the large meat and cattlecompany Dumeco came into being. New headquarters: Boxtel, which ment for me a considerable long daily travel to and from work (85 kilometres x 2).
At first the new collegues were little distant to one another, but when the ice broke it got quiet cosy in a new and pretty differnt group of people.
Also the environment of Brabant's "Meijereij" (a former county) has it's specific highlights, which I was offered to explore. Collegues and new friends showed me around and there was of course the (famous) Bourgondian lifestyle of the Brabander, that had it's great advantages (as well as some big questionmarks).
Boxtel used to be a agricultural oriented village until the times of industrialisation, when it was fast in modernising and taking up some industries here. It grew to a townsize in between the bigger brothers Eindhoven (most classic example of industrial growth in The Netherlands) and the capitol of Northern Brabant: Den Bosch (or 's-Hertogenbosch).
The weapon/flag of Boxtel shows five banners (red/silver) with eight golden ducks. Saint Petrus (Peter) in gold, holding two keys. The village of Boxtel got this weapon from the earl's of Cuijk (further North), that possessed these parts of Brabant. The exact meaning has not (yet) been explaned.
The ducks in the weapon explane why with caraval the town is called "Eendengat" (=duckvillage).
One of the differences between Brabant (and Limburg) is the fact that these provinces are in majority Roman Catholic. This is also very obviously to be seen if one opens his/her eyes for it as on many crossroads there are little cross-statues, prayingplaces and chapels. This historical influence also is one of the main drives behind the widely and intensively cemebrated carnaval in these provinces. north of the rivers in The Netherlands, this is less or not celebrated at all (except for the few Catholic "missionary" towns and villages.
One of Boxtel's stabilising factors was the large convent that was here from centuries ago. This religious place drew... more travel advice
Just outside of Boxtel (West) lies the natural reserve of Kampina. This remaining forest, heather and fen-area is a... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Boxtel Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Boxtel
- 10 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Boxtel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Boxtel
Photos in BoxtelSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues