"Delft from where the "blue" conquered the world." Top 5 Page for this destination Delft by Pavlik_NL
Delft Travel Guide: 515 reviews and 1,399 photos
Delft is the ultimate Dutch town. Even more then Amsterdam or The Hague it reflects the history of the Netherlands. Due to a warm connection with the father of the fatherland: William of Orange, Delft became the town of the Oranges and therefore of the Dutch. It was also one of the once all-powerful V.O.C. ("Verenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie" = United East-Indian Company centres, from which wealth flew into the little country to make it in the 16th and 17th century the centre of the world (in trade at least). Delft blossomed, not only of the power and richness, but also in art and culture. This is the famous city of Johannes Vermeer, one of Dutch most famous painters.
Delft was one of the VOC-harbours and was the home of our earliest royalty. The "Prinsenhof" tells you about the father of the fatherland: William of Orange, where he lived ... and died, through the evil murder by the hitman Balthazar Geerards, hired by the Spanish. In the Delft "New church" the graves of our royal family can be visited and on the marketsquare in front of it's high tower the great cityhall shows the importance of the old Delft. Delft took wealth from over the whole world to it, but also gave something in return. "Delf blue" is exported all over the world and became one of the most famous porselan-types. Blue and white decorations that rallied over the globe and can be seen back in Chinese porselan and Russian tiles.
... but also an ideal place in the centre of everything interesting in Southern Holland. Delft is pressed between the bigger and steadily growing towns The Hague and Rotterdam (both only 20 kilometres distance). From here one easily travels by public transport (train, tram or bus) or by car to Delft. The old town's centre is definately worth a visit as it has a wonderful old centre full of Dutch history. Everything about this magnificent place can be read here on this page.
Parking is difficult, especially when you want to do so within the old city centre. This is actually disrecommended by... more travel advice
In Delft there is a phenomena that you won't find in so many other places in The Netherlands. Restaurants made dining... more travel advice
- See All Art museum P.T. van Elven
- See All From monastry 'til Animal Market
- See All Shopping in between Rotterdam and The...
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Delft Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "For your Dutch quaintness fix :-)"
- "Delft from where the "blue" conquered the world."
- "DELFT --A SPECIAL PLACE IN OUR HEARTS"
- "Delving into Delft"
- "Playing tourist on a beautiful sunny but cold day"
- "Delving Through Delft"
- "The Royal Delft"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Delft
- Hotels in Delft
- Transportation in Delft
- Nightlife in Delft
- Restaurants in Delft
- Shopping in Delft
- Warnings and Dangers in Delft
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Delft
- 74 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (147)
Have you been to Delft?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Delft
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: Can you recommend day trips..."
- Commented on one of LoriPori's Delft travel pages
- updated a Delft Travelogue "From ancient canal houses to modern TU"
- Uploaded a Photo to "From ancient canal houses to modern TU"
- Wrote a Review Parking, always a trouble in old city centres in Delft Transportation
Photos in DelftSee All Photos (91)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues