"An old city that has stayed a village" Doesburg by Pavlik_NL
Doesburg Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 63 photos
On the "IJssel"-river there's a small town that has an amazing thing to offer. This old hanze-treaty town was a wealthy tradersplace with as speciality "mustard". It's now-a-days beauty hides in the completely intact historical centre. A open air museum that has not yet been discovered by the mass-tourism and slumbers on almost all days with quite local business.
A walk through this small town, that never has lost the art of being a village, is a breathtaking experience. The streets, the houses, the atmosphere ... it all brings you back to the times of long ago and you exoect any moment that a horse-pulled wagon can come along the corner. Doesburg is also surprisingly green as some trees, but especially gardens and ivy growing along walls, time after time know how to enchant the visitor.
THE product of Doesburg has always been "mustard". The recepy of it's creamy yellowish sauce made from the smallest seeds on earth, goes back for many centuries and is still a tasty extra with cheese and certain snacks. Doesburg even has it's mustard-museum, where one is explained exactly how mustard was important for Doesburg's economy. The economy thrived especially in the years that the Hanze-treaty (a early medieval treaty between towns in Germany, The Netherlands, Poland and a sfar East as the Baltic states. Doesburg was one of the most Southern ones in this treaty and in early times quite important.
Take the small roads, the alleys, or dive into a small corridor that leads away between the houses. Some gates at first... more travel advice
Wisch, a neighborhood within the Achterhoek, should have had a mighty powerful ruler and important nobel family. They... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Doesburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An old city that has stayed a village"
- "Doesburg, the town where the mustard comes from."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Doesburg
- Hotels in Doesburg
- Transportation in Doesburg
- Restaurants in Doesburg
- Shopping in Doesburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Doesburg
- 32 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (149)
Have you been to Doesburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Doesburg
Photos in DoesburgSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues