Doornenburg Things to Do Tips by Pavlik_NL
Doornenburg Things to Do: 1 reviews and 1 photos
Even in wintertime, the castle (& Irina) is pretty
The castle of Doornenburg dates back to the 9th century and is with that the oldest remaining castle in The Netherlands. It is a typical castle, surrounded by a canal and a bridge that can be lifted in case of an attack. The first part of the complex is a square surrounded by a defencewall, but also holding a large barn, a little pub, a farmhouse and the castles chaple. Then, surrounded by an extra canal, the main castle can only be reached by a long narrow bridge that also can be lifted. In this - so called "Donjon" the castlelord lived and ruled over the surrounding lands.
More Reviews (6)
- Strategic fortresses at the splitting of...
- The camping in the riverlands!
- After a long biketour, a refreshment is...
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Doornenburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KASTEEL DOORNENBURG"
- "Doornenburg, a castle where the river Rhine splits"
- "A prototype castle"
- "Kasteel Doornenburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Doornenburg
- Hotels in Doornenburg
- Transportation in Doornenburg
- Restaurants in Doornenburg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nouville Hotels
- Camross Hotels
- Jim Thorpe Hotels
- Sooke Hotels
- Fort Dodge
- Allen Cay
Badges & Stats in Doornenburg
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Doornenburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Doornenburg
- Posted in Travel Hindeloopen Forum "Re: Transportation"
- Commented on one of truus_s's Doornenburg travel pages
- Wrote a Review Strategic fortresses at the splitting of the Rhine in Doornenburg Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Strategic fortresses at the splitting of the Rhine"
- created a Doornenburg Travel Page "Doornenburg, a castle where the river Rhine splits"
Photos in DoornenburgSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues