"Doornenburg, a castle where the river Rhine splits" Doornenburg by Pavlik_NL
Doornenburg Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 38 photos
Doornenburg , is a small village in the most South-Eastern corner of the "Betwue" (riverlands). Here the river Rhine splits in two, the Southern river Waal and the one turning North the Nederrijn (Lower Rhine), partly called the "Pannerdens Canal". Just outside the village lies the castle of Doornenburg, which would mean translated "Castle of the Thorns" or "Thornborough". In name, this must be the castle where Sleeping beauty waiting asleep a 100 years for her prince to kiss her awake.
The castle is the oldest in it's kind in The Netherlands and dates back to the 9th century. It's indeed a castle that looks exactly like the ones in fairytalebooks and visitors with me are always brought here (preferably by bike).
As I told before, in the corner of the riverlands where Doornenburg is situated, the Rhine devides in the Waal and the... more travel advice
On the dike approximately at the furtherst point from my house (so halfway) is a nice restaurant that has an excellent... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Doornenburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KASTEEL DOORNENBURG"
- "Doornenburg, a castle where the river Rhine splits"
- "A prototype castle"
- "Kasteel Doornenburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Doornenburg
- Hotels in Doornenburg
- Transportation in Doornenburg
- Restaurants in Doornenburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Doornenburg
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Doornenburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Doornenburg
- Posted in Travel Hindeloopen Forum "Re: Transportation"
- Commented on one of truus_s's Doornenburg travel pages
- Wrote a Review Strategic fortresses at the splitting of the Rhine in Doornenburg Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Strategic fortresses at the splitting of the Rhine"
- created a Doornenburg Travel Page "Doornenburg, a castle where the river Rhine splits"
Photos in DoornenburgSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues