Durgerdam Off The Beaten Path Tips by Pavlik_NL
Durgerdam Off The Beaten Path: 3 reviews and 6 photos
Old "schandpaal" in Durgerdam
In Durgerdam, across the Oude Taveerne (cafe-restaurant), an oldfashioned "Schandpaal" stands on the dike. This item used to be for criminals and was used to publically show their failures. With head and hands locked in it, people were allowed to throw anything against the bad guy or girl. Now-a-days it's a funny thing to make pictures, but the words on it are very true. "The old "schandpaal" from the past, can also be useful in the present. 'Cause many that seem to be quite worthy, should be standing in it."
Small church in Durgerdam village
Though now-a-days many cityfolk live in Durgerdam (tose who can afford it), the village used to be a traditional fishermen's village. Fishermen, daily endangered by the sea and the weatherconditions, were very firm believers and the church was truely the middlepoint of society. The church in Durgerdam is still the middelpoint of the strangely shaped village (stretching out along the dike but without any streets going from the dike and leading away). The small church is a typical IJsselmeer church and can be seen inside on some days (schedule was missing, so can't say exactly when).
Durgerdam "centre" ... the small church on the lak
Amsterdam is well known and offers an immens variety in entertainment and attractions. The Dutch capitol needs many days to be explored and maybe Durgerdam doesn;t fit inside this hectic program. Dut still, when you are interested to get out for a moment and maybe need a bit of peace and quiet, then Durgerdam is definately a great place to go. It also offers a quick view of the real "Holland" with very Dutch views of bridges, canals, waterland, the Markermeer and the typical dikehouses.
More Reviews (7)
- See All Nature and birdwatching in...
- Bus from Amsterdam to Durgerdam
- Durgerdam itself endangered
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Durgerdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Is this truely Amsterdam???"
- "Wooden houses at the dike"
- "Durgerdam, IJsselmeer village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durgerdam
- Restaurants in Durgerdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Durgerdam
- See All...
Explore the World
- Al Khawd Hotels
- New Providence District
- Gouda Hotels
- Sandy Beach Hotels
- Bayahibe Hotels
- Grindstone Island
- Province of Palawan Off The Beaten Path
- Champagne-Ardenne Off The Beaten Path
- Kabaty Forest
- Ancona Off The Beaten Path
- Simferopol Off The Beaten Path
- Bitola Off The Beaten Path
- Pontianak Off The Beaten Path
- Binghamton Off The Beaten Path
- Stari Grad
- surrounding, lerici
- St Albans Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Durgerdam
- 10 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Durgerdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durgerdam
Photos in DurgerdamSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues