"Is this truely Amsterdam???" Durgerdam by Pavlik_NL
Durgerdam Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 49 photos
Along the dike that safeguards Amsterdam against floadings from the "Markermeer" (a part of the larger "IJsselmeer") there is a small village that is the last open part of Amsterdam. When you are here you can't imagine that it actually belongs to our nation's capitol, but the sign at the beginning of the village indeed says "Gemeente Amsterdam" (manucipality of Amsterdam). How long it will stay this way? ... Nobody knows ...
Durgerdam is a little secret that not many foreign visitors will easily find or even be presented to. Attacked in the back by the large construction areas of the constant expanding Amsterdam and even from the waterside through the new islands that the city is planning there, Durgerdam survives until now. It owuld also be a shame when it would disappear, as it is a small gem in the huge Amsterdam crown that should be preserved.
Durgerdam is built along the dike that protects "Waterland" (a Dutch manucipality) against the raging waters of the former Zuiderzee (Southern Sea). Now-a-days the waters are tamed and the water is called "Markermeer (meer = lake). Watersport is the number one attraction of Durgerdam, but also for some wealthy Dutchmen living here, close to the capitol and still completely in the green (and blue) is beautiful. It is said that almost half of the population of Durgerdam consists of KLM and other pilots, which - if true - shows that this profession pays rather well.
Nature surrounds Durgerdam. Wetlands that attract an enormous amount of birds form a natural reserve where they feed on... more travel advice
Though now-a-days many cityfolk live in Durgerdam (tose who can afford it), the village used to be a traditional... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Durgerdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Is this truely Amsterdam???"
- "Wooden houses at the dike"
- "Durgerdam, IJsselmeer village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durgerdam
- Restaurants in Durgerdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Durgerdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Durgerdam
- 10 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Durgerdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durgerdam
Photos in DurgerdamSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues