"Ens on Schokland, was here an island?" Ens by Pavlik_NL
Ens Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 13 photos
Ens, a little nothing in Flevoland has still a museum to offer in which a strange, but nice story is told. Like on Urk (the place that puts this one completely in the shade), here once was an island in the Southern Sea. When the Dutch poldered the parts surrounding the island, it became part of the land again (as it was millennia ago). Ens, and the island of Schokland, were inhabited until 1859. The people here had a tough existance and often the island was swepted by waves so that evrything was destroyed. Crops, houses, cattle ... all gone with a stormy sea. Therefor the governement evacuated the island in that year, as it had more trouble then use. The inhabitants did leave, but not our of free will. Now, near what is still called Ens, there's the Schokland museum, telling the story of this island, on dry land.
Look around sharply and find out little differences with the main land. The new polders are quite different from the old... more travel advice
The surroundings of the museum offer two guided walkingtrails that follow the old coastal shores of the island of... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Ens Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ens on Schokland, was here an island?"
- "Schokland, a former dutch island!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ens
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (147)
Have you been to Ens?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ens
Photos in EnsSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues