"Perfect example of Wim Sonnevelt's "Het Dorp"" Heythuysen by Pavlik_NL
Heythuysen Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 23 photos
In the Mid-Limburgian landscape there are numerous villages. Heythuyzen however immediately jumps out when I run over the map or a list of names. This is the village where my mother was born and raised. Here my grandparents lived until they went ... much to early. Lately I returned to it, after an absence of at least 20 years. To go back in memory lane and find only a few places that I immediately recognised. Literally shocked from the violent renovations they did here and little bit sad ... I returned home with a song in my head that in The Netherlands is quite famous: Wim Sonnevelt's "Het Dorp" = The Village (see my general tip).
Philips is now-a-days quite a famous name worldwide. This Dutch electronica giant has factories all over the globe and is one of the world leaders in audio and video (not to forget inventor of the CD). In a distance my mother is related to the famous Philips branche, but not that I now own loads of stocks of the company. My grandfather was carpenter (we even have antique tools used to make wooden shoes!) and they later had a toy shop. Being the grandchildren, you can imagine me and my sister always loved to go to "Oma & Opa" in Heythuyzen.
Though Heythuyzen - in my opinion - is brutally ruined by new buildings and renovations, the wonderful natural area of the "Leudal" (dal = valley) is still just East of the village. This foresty lands on each side of the winding little river "Leu" are a delight for walking. The water running by with it's specific sound reaches it's most beautiful sound near the old watermill of Saint Ursula.
A typical Limburgian café with a great name. "Sinterklaoske" is Limburgian dialect for Saint Nicolas. You can find it... more travel advice
A large establishment that is a restaurant as well as a party centre for Heythuyzen. more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Heythuysen Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Heythuysen
- Hotels in Heythuysen
- Nightlife in Heythuysen
- Shopping in Heythuysen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Heythuysen
- 20 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Heythuysen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heythuysen
- Posted in Travel Nijmegen Forum "Re: Where should I live and how..."
- Wrote a Review Nightlife outside carnaval ... euh ... well ... in Heythuysen Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nightlife outside carnaval ... euh ... well ..."
- updated a Heythuysen Travel Page "Perfect example of Wim Sonnevelt's "Het Dorp""
Photos in HeythuysenSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues