"Kinderdijk, windmills in multiple choice" Top 5 Page for this destination Kinderdijk by Pavlik_NL
Kinderdijk Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 318 photos
Nowhere in the Netherlands you will find such a dense cluster of windmills, yes, even nowhere in the world. Once throughout The Netherlands there were several thousands of windmills (some records say even over 7.000), but as they became modernized and replaced more and more by (steam)machines, now-a-days “only” 1.700 are left. Spread over the country you will – traveling through it – see them for sure, but Kinderdijk has 19 windmills that are in close proximity to one another. In 1997 the windmills of Kinderdijk came into the UNESCO list of world heritage.
The windmills of Kinderdijk are there for one single reason: to keep the water out of the polder in which they stand. Lined up along a canal they pump water from the lower ditches and finally into the main rivers that run to the North sea. This purpose is widely spread throughout the Netherlands and also the reason why in the swamp that we call home so many mills were and are there. For centuries we use the power of the wind to tame the water.
The windmills at Kinderdijk date back to the 18th century, but have been restored ever since. The mills are til the day of today fully operational, which is also necessary to keep dry feet in the "Alblasserwaard", the name of the polder that Kinderdijk is situated in.
Several windmills in the Kinderdijk area are actually homes. Yes, you read it well, living in a windmill still excists... more travel advice
The windmills at Kinderdijk are almost all the so called "achtkantige molens" = eight sides mills. Most were built... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Kinderdijk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KINDERDIJK - WORLD HERITAGE SITE"
- "Off the beaten path in Kinderdijk"
- "A nightmare for Alonso Quijano"
- "Kinderdijk, windmills in multiple choice"
- "KINDERKIJK WINDMILL BOAT TOUR"
- "The Kinderdijk"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kinderdijk
- Hotels in Kinderdijk
- Transportation in Kinderdijk
- Restaurants in Kinderdijk
- Shopping in Kinderdijk
- Warnings and Dangers in Kinderdijk
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kinderdijk
- 13 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Kinderdijk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kinderdijk
- Posted in Travel Eindhoven Forum "Re: How to get to the Airport by..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Remaining pictures of a rainy day in Kinderdijk"
- created a Kinderdijk Travelogue "Remaining pictures of a rainy day in Kinderdijk"
- Wrote a Review Respect the inhabitants in Kinderdijk Local Customs
- Commented on one of TheDunno's Kinderdijk travel pages
Photos in KinderdijkSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues