"Kootwijk, in the centre of the Veluwe-forests" Kootwijk by Pavlik_NL
Kootwijk Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 68 photos
Kootwijk is a small village in the centre of the Veluwe forest-area. This green part of my province Gelderland, always keeps me amazed about it's wild natural beauty, kept despite the overpopulation of The Netherlands. Especially Kootwijk has to offer you one of the highlands: Kootwijker Zand (= Sand). This huge desert-like area, where sand has a ruling force in alliance with the wind. Plants have adapted to these rough environments and even trees have difficulties in staning tall against the always moving sand dunes. On this page I want to take you for a biketour from outside Kootwijk to the village and the "sand" before going back through the forest.
Also I show you some places of the village itself and the survival of some plants on the rough grounds.
In 2002 Kootwijk counted no less then 282 inhabitants and is therefor a small village. In summertime however the number can be temporarily rising avoer a few thousands as the campings are full and all other overnightstay addresses fully booked.
In a green environment one bikes into Kootwijk and if one doesn't look good, one almost doesn't notice the little church that is standing between tall trees.
Though most people enjoy Kootwijk in summertime, forests and rough grounds are changing enormously through the seasons... more travel advice
Originally Kootwijk survived on these hard soils by being one of the sheep-keeping centres on the Veluwe. This is still... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Kootwijk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kootwijk, in the centre of the Veluwe-forests"
- "Radio Kootwijk"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kootwijk
- 7 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Kootwijk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kootwijk
Photos in KootwijkSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues