"Nijmegen, residence of ancient emperors" Top 5 Page for this destination Nijmegen by Pavlik_NL
Nijmegen Travel Guide: 413 reviews and 757 photos
Nijmegen, 15 kilometres South of my hometown Arnhem is the oldest town in The Netherlands. Already in the year 111 a.D. Roman emperor Trajanus gave the town it's cityrights and on the hill besides the Waalbridge the remainders of the Roman fortress can still be visited. In those times the name was Noviomagus, which ment "New Roads".
However, Trajanus was not the only emperor that had a love for Nijmegen. It was with emperor Karl the Great that the town blossomed and walking the narrow allies that raise up from the Waalkade (kade=kay) many old houses remained from these early medieval times. Especially when one stands on the old Market, the West and Southside of the beautiful square are wonderful (see pictures).
Nijmegen is old, yet also new. It is a universitytown with a relatively young population. The university however is not that old as some others within the Netherlands. It started out in 1923 under Catholic regime. Because of the many students it is the town with the highest terrace-density (amount of terrace-chairs towards the total amount of inhabitants). All over the citycentre caf?s and bars as well as restaurants and lunchrooms have their cosy places where people chat, mingle and drink.
Nijmegen and it's inhabitants have a love/hate relationship with Arnhem (and vice versa). Competitors as well as sister and brother. The cityconcept is practically opposit. Both are build on a main river, that actually is the same one (the river "Waal" is the main-branch of the "Rijn"=Rhine). Bridges dominate the success, but in Nijmegen the hills are situated South of the river and in Arnhem that is North. Opposit lay the flat riverlands. The Netherlands are in geografical and cultural way devided strongly by the rivers, for example: Catholic South, Protestant North. This made the nicknames of both towns. Nijmegen is sometimes called the most Northern of the South. Arnhem has the name to be the most Southern of North. Quiet different towns, yet ... related closely.
The brooke through in the eighties during the Dutch New Wave period (together with Doe Maar and Toontje Lager). Dutch... more travel advice
With a large resemblance to the cityweapon of Arnhem, Nijmegen too has a double headed eagle in it's city weapon. A... more travel advice
- See All Entrance granted by the gatekeeper
- See All Where you food can be weighted
- A hotel on the old market square
- See All Market Garden and the miracle of the...
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Nijmegen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ulpia Noviomagus Batavorum"
- "egonwegh's own Nijmegen Page"
- "Nijmegen, residence of ancient emperors"
- "Nijmegen, my hometown"
- "Roeffie's Nijmegen Page"
- "ptitetoile's Nijmegen Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nijmegen
- Hotels in Nijmegen
- Transportation in Nijmegen
- Nightlife in Nijmegen
- Restaurants in Nijmegen
- Shopping in Nijmegen
- Warnings and Dangers in Nijmegen
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nijmegen
- 44 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Nijmegen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nijmegen
- Posted in Travel Eindhoven Forum "Re: eindhoven airport to lommel"
- Wrote a Review Frank Boeijen (Groep), music from Nijmegen in Nijmegen Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Frank Boeijen (Groep), music from Nijmegen"
- Commented on one of ptitetoile's Nijmegen travel pages
- created a Nijmegen Travelogue "Nijmegen pictures, tips for the surroundings"
Photos in NijmegenSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (52)
Latest Nijmegen hotel reviews
- Hotel Catharina
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Amrath Hotel Belvoir
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- Mercure Nijmegen Centre
- 114 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Hotel Atlanta
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Hotel Courage
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Apollo Hotel
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2013
- Scandic Hotel Sanadome Nijmegen
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 7, 2013
- De Prince - De Amuse
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 13, 2013