"Norg, a small village with a great scenery" Norg by Pavlik_NL
Norg Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 31 photos
Drenthe used to be the poorest province of the Netherlands for long long times. However, now-a-days one can see that this province holds a wealth that other provinces can be very jealous of. Drenthe has nature, wide living space and still a farmers legacy in which hospitality and guestfriendlyness are held up high. Norg is an example as being the centre of the "Noordervelden" recreation area, where hundreds of kilometres of public walking paths and bicycle routes are properly maintained. Many campings and other ways of staying welcome the visitor in and meanwhile norg is the centre of information and recreation. Here you find the central VVV (tourist-info) as well as good restaurants.
Drenthe is one of the area's that were first inhabited in the Netherlands. Here in the iron-ages people of the "Trechterbeker" culture left the typical "Hunebed"s, gravemarks built up from huge stones. In this province, and of course also in the neighborhood of Norg (Westerveld), one can see some small examples that are over 5.000 years old. These remnants of long forgotten times are often the target of a tour on bike or a firm walk through surrounding countryside.
Drenthe still has a real farmersland in which a warm hospitaly makes you feel at home immediately. It's not a rush and vulture-culture, like the Western Dutch cities sadly more and more put in their daylights. Here one can relax with the beautiful landscapes, the good food for a reasonable price and take it easy in general. The village of Norg is actually a collection of large old, but well restored or maintained, farmhouses with large straw roofs. It radiates a close community that holds the best of both worlds: the comfort of today's technology as well as the humanity and kindness of the past.
As said before, the farmhouses in Drenthe are large and almost always topped with an enormous straw roof. Straw was a... more travel advice
Norg is not easy to reach, when you relay on public transport. The route is then to reach Assen and go on by bus. For... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Norg Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Norg
- 8 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Norg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Norg
- Posted in Travel Nijmegen Forum "Re: Where should I live and how..."
- Wrote a Review Farmhouses with enormous straw roofs in Norg Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Farmhouses with enormous straw roofs"
- created a Norg Travel Page "Norg, a small village with a great scenery"
- Commented on one of nighthawk's Norg travel pages
Photos in NorgSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues