"The place where I am enjoying my work" Top 5 Page for this destination Oosterbeek by Pavlik_NL
Oosterbeek Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 90 photos
Just West in the outskirts of Arnhem lies Oosterbeek. An almost to be called aristocratic little town with a very specific surrounding. Situated partly on the Northern bank of the river Rhine ("Beneden-dorp" = Lower village) and in the by the enormous masses of ice pushed up, hills ("Boven-dorp" = Upper village). As peaceful it is now, so intens must have been the hell that it was in September 1944.
It was here that one of the biggest tragedies of the second worldwar took place. A daring plan, like so many before, made up to "bring the boys back home before Christmas" turned in to a massacre. For the people of nearby Arnhem as well as the citizens of Oosterbeek, it ended in a disaster. after a few days of so close liberty, the Nazi's took revenge and evactuated, plundered and burned down both towns. However, despite all the tears and pain, the citizens spread over Holland must have found new hope for the future.
In the Airborne-museum one can see everything from the Battle of Arnhem (a bridge too far), wchich actually took place in Oosterbeek, where the majority of British 1st airborne division (added by a Polish brigade) got stuck.
Oosterbeek was a place where the tragedy of the Battle of Arnhem actually took place. Here the main British force was battling towards the bridge that only few reached. The rest was fighting against a overwhelming force of much better armed Germany soldiers. Everything about this drama can be witnessed in the Airborne Museum.
Oosterbeek is also the place where my work is situated. That is, just 100 metres across the border with Arnhem in the estate-park of Mariendaal. This magnificent park will be virtually present in a travellogue.
In Oosterbeek there are many places where the fighting was fiercer then any ever on earth. The Germans called the... more travel advice
Oosterbeek is looking great and it's natural surroundings, wide setup in housing, attracts the wealthy above the less... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Oosterbeek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The place where I am enjoying my work"
- "Oosterbeek, the battleground village"
- "Oosterbeek, a place to remember!"
- "A tribute to their effort to free us!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oosterbeek
- Hotels in Oosterbeek
- Transportation in Oosterbeek
- Warnings and Dangers in Oosterbeek
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oosterbeek
- 14 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Oosterbeek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oosterbeek
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: fined for pissing on the..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Welcome to the beauty of Warnsborn"
- created a Oosterbeek Travelogue "Welcome to the beauty of Warnsborn"
- Commented on one of OlafS's Oosterbeek travel pages
- Wrote a Review Visit at least one place of the fighting in Oosterbeek Things to Do
Photos in OosterbeekSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (52)
Latest Oosterbeek hotel reviews
- De Bilderberg
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013