"Rozendaal, Valley of the Roses?" Rozendaal by Pavlik_NL
Rozendaal Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 27 photos
Green, green Rozendaal lies directly outside the town of Arnhem in it's North-Eastern part. Here starts the hills of the Veluwe, with as highest "top" the "Zijpenberg", an stunning 107 metres high (wow, amazing ... in Dutch terms - hahaha). Rozendaal is a very aristocratic village. It has many mansions, villa's and an authentic castle under the older name "Rozendael". The castle was used most recently as a huntinglodge the Orange family and it had an enormous territory of forests belonging to the estate. It was in darker days a prisoners-castle a well as a "holidayhome" of the "Hertog Karel van Gelre" (Duke Charles of Gelderland). It burned to the ground several times and was heavily damaged in the second worldwar. All is to be seen inside the castle that is now-a-days opened for public and definately worth a visit. On the tour through the "in style" decorated rooms opens a whole book of facts and figures. The real treasure however is the surrounding garden, nicknamed the "Bedriegertjes", which means something like "little men that fool you". There are indeed some funny tricks that surprise the visistors, but I am not going to spoil the fun by stating them here. Anyway, you have to be alert continuously when making the tour through the park. It houses also a magnificent Cedar-tree, a tea-chapel, an old solarclock and - most beautiful of all - the shell-gallery. This little pavillion is decorated with thousands and thousands of exotic shells. A very special attraction at the castle of Rozendaal.
The castle of Rosendael can be visited and it will bring many stories to the surface. The same is with the gardens around it, that are available in a guided tour as well as a privat walk around. First timers are recommended to take the tour and let themselves be surprised by the "Bedriegertjes".
Rosendael's first attention should go to the castle. But one will miss out on beautoful houses if one should forget to roam around the castle-area and look at the great buildings that are there. The farmhouse on the corner, the little house at the entrance, the gatekeepershouse and the mansions and villa's in the streets towards the village itself.
A drive from Rozendaal towards Rheden brings you over "little Switzerland". A scenic drive that holds one of the few hairpin-curves excisting in The Netherlands (see also my Rheden page about the Posbank).
The castle is the summit of a visit to Rozendaal. Together with it's beautiful gardens it is the number one attraction... more travel advice
As for the hunting traditions around the castle of Rosendael, a traditional "wild-restaurant" (wild = wild animals, like... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Rozendaal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rozendaal, Valley of the Roses?"
- "Rozendaal and castle!"
- "Just driving through"
- "Katseel Rosendael"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rozendaal
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Rozendaal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rozendaal
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: a VISA to enter Netherlands"
- created a Rozendaal Travelogue "On the hills of Klarenbeek to the height of 80"
- Wrote a Review Villas, bungalows, mansions + houses in Rozendaal in Rozendaal Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Villas, bungalows, mansions + houses in Rozendaal"
Photos in RozendaalSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues